Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For Fred: another RIA "in-betweener"

Fred,

As I know you find those RIA M1903s that may have been double heat-treated interesting, even with a LN serial number, this one may be another. It has a 1917 barrel. However, the stock markings are suspicious.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=545519418
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

That's a pretty interesting looking rifle Rick. It'd be interesting to hear what John thinks about it. The rifle is 809 numbers over mine.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-03-2016 at 03:03.

I would bet that the receiver is casehardened though since the barrel is so more in line wth the serial number than I would think would be the case if the receiver was barreled with a mid 1918 barrel, which is one of the indications that mine was one of the Double Heat treated receivers.
    I'd like your opinion as well as Johns on this.
    The hand guard appears to me to be of the type coming out of Springfield around 1919 or 1920.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-03-2016 at 05:54.

The 11-17 barrel caught my eye, as well. Wondered if there was any other way to tell for sure.

What did you think of the stock markings? The "RIA" in particular looked "faked" or added; maybe the WJS, too.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-03-2016 at 05:36.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

It seems to be a rifle reassembled from mixed parts while in service in a post WWI period. Probably after a thorough unit cleaning and not a bubba put together.
    John says that the same might be true of my rifle. Who knows? I think the rifle is legit though. I like the condition of the stock. The barrel and receiver are Beatiful. The bolt I think is single heat treated. I could be wrong and will take another
    look.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-03-2016 at 07:37.

6. Default

They guy is a KNOWN German mauser humper...Anything this guy sells should be looked on with suspicion...A true turd monger...

I admit I was looking more at the receiver and barrel. As I said, I have suspicions about the stock markings.
    --C.S. Lewis

With an R.I.A./10-17 dated barrel, the rifle is almost certainly a low number casehardened rifle. RIA numerical records from WWI indicate that they halted rifle production at about S/N 269,000. So the serial number is consistent with one of the last casehardened rifles.

RIA WWI stocks were marked "RI" on the fore end tip, and did NOT exhibit "W.J.S." inspection stamps. The rifle appears to be an original barreled receiver assembled with assorted parts.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I admit I was looking more at the receiver and barrel. As I said, I have suspicions about the stock markings.
    You didn't read the description ?? Seller stated it had all the correct type 1, type 2, or whatever parts !!

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    With an R.I.A./10-17 dated barrel, the rifle is almost certainly a low number casehardened rifle. RIA numerical records from WWI indicate that they halted rifle production at about S/N 269,000. So the serial number is consistent with one of the last casehardened rifles.

RIA WWI stocks were marked "RI" on the fore end tip, and did NOT exhibit "W.J.S." inspection stamps. The rifle appears to be an original barreled receiver assembled with assorted parts.

J.B.
    I can vaguely remember "way back when", perhaps 2002, I had a stock with a RI and a WJS - wasn't there some talk that inspector WJS (who remains unidentified) worked briefly at Rock Island? Obviously not trying to prove the "veracity" of this stock in the current auction.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-05-2016 at 06:07.
    --C.S. Lewis