Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M1A1: help needed

Hello to you all from Italy;
    I've been offered to swap a matching K98 with a M1A1 Inland carbine in the 5.260.000 range with 6/44 barrel.
    I got few pics, not really detailed, but by them I recognize an high wood stock, a type I barrel band, round blued bolt and a type III rear sight marked IRCO 7160060 (or something like that).
    An important feature is that the carbine is NOT import marked, and this circumstance means that she was in Italy before 1975; so it's highly possible that she was here during WWII (kind of "vet left back" gun).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ziomanno; 02-27-2016 at 05:26.

2. Default

I would like to know your opinions on this carbine; I'm not an expert, but I find some early features (stock, barrel band) among late ones (type III rear sight).
    Any help/imput will be really appreciated.
    Than is in advance.

It's a nice carbine BUT the stock is not quite right. At one time the stock had a type 2 or a type 3 barrel band on it so it is not original to the carbine itself or someone has changed the barrel band. The rear sight I think may be a bit too new for your serial number. More likely to have a PI, HI or I.R.Co. marked rear sight. The I.R. Co. 7160060 stamped sight came out a little while later.
    Last edited by Tuna; 02-27-2016 at 08:10.

Would that sight even be on a 'left behind' carbine?
    You can never go home again.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Would that sight even be on a 'left behind' carbine?
    Well, this is the question; is this sight consistent with WWII Inland production? I have to exclude a US arsenal postwar refurb. But it is also true that no more US paratroopers were in Italy after the June 44, so who could have been issued with this M1A1? Maybe partisans via OSS?
    Last edited by ziomanno; 02-27-2016 at 12:42.

The Photo's don't show the rivets very clear but they don't look right to me from what I can see of them. Would need a close up to better tell, Ray

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    It's a nice carbine BUT the stock is not quite right. At one time the stock had a type 2 or a type 3 barrel band on it so it is not original to the carbine itself or someone has changed the barrel band.
    Good point here; thanks Tuna

8. Default

This is the same pic above, just bigger

Looks good now, Ray

10. Default

If you can post a picture of the bottom of the stock where the barrel band is.

BTW, the rear sight is correct for your serial number.

Also, M1A1 Carbines were not just issued to the just Airborne units.