Thread: M1884 rifle info sought

1. Default M1884 rifle info sought

Hi. I'm a 1903 collector, sadly ignorant of trapdoors. I'm looking to be schooled on an interesting trapdoor rifle I stumbled upon. (Apologies for lack of photos, a skill I do not possess to date.) The rifle is nearly new, with 97-98% original bright blue and color case hardening and a mint bore. It looks unfired. Description as follows:

-SN 474052 with SWP 1889 cartouche.

- Standard configuration, i.e., Buffington rear sight and lower band, 1884 marked breechblock, smooth buttplate without trap, slotted cleaning rod with double shouldered grooved swell. VP eagle head above punch mark on bbl, with what appears to be an "A" stamp 1/2 " forward of receiver oriented perpendicular to barrel.

- milled front sight hood, which, judging by condition, etc., has been with the gun since manufacture

- metal pistol grip screwed to stock at rear of lower tang; scroll P firing proof on wrist an inch below pistol grip

- M1873 style two piece trigger guard

- grooved trigger with the last quarter inch or so checkered

- superb, flawless inletting of lock, bbl and buttplate. Some Springfield craftsman took his time when fitting this rifle

A friend who competes with his trapdoors looked at it and suggested that this rifle was built at Springfield as a target or marksman's rifle, possibly made for use by service rifle teams.

Any opinions based on the above info? All input gratefully received. Dokcop.

2. Default

How many grooves in the bore?

Many trapdoors in that serial number range are 'like new'. I have one tho mine does not have the attached pistol grip. It has been said these rifles were found in the early 1950s in storage having never been issued. Like yours, mine is in superb condition. I have fired it using original specs as to BP and bullet loads. I do handload this 45-70. I'm leery of the "made by Springfield as a 'target or marksman rifle' tho. I don't believe Springfield did any such work on these rifles. If you go to www.trapdoorcollectors.com, They get seriuos about trapdoors and can offer valuable info on almost any trapdoor.

4. Default M1884

Quote Originally Posted by m1903rifle View Post
    How many grooves in the bore?
    Three. The chamber is 2.105, definitely not the 2.40 45/90 I've read about (dammit!).

5. Default

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Many trapdoors in that serial number range are 'like new'. I have one tho mine does not have the attached pistol grip. It has been said these rifles were found in the early 1950s in storage having never been issued. Like yours, mine is in superb condition. I have fired it using original specs as to BP and bullet loads. I do handload this 45-70. I'm leery of the "made by Springfield as a 'target or marksman rifle' tho. I don't believe Springfield did any such work on these rifles. If you go to www.trapdoorcollectors.com, They get seriuos about trapdoors and can offer valuable info on almost any trapdoor.

The long-chambered 6-groove rifles were made MUCH earlier, in the 112-163K range. The 2.4" cartridge was referred to in military circles as the .45-80 "Sharpshooter" round, but is functionally interchangeable with the .45-90 Winchester.