Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Not to pick at the rifle as it is a good representative build up, but the clip slotting is incorrect for an M40 or a 40x. The left hand rail is the wrong length as is the bevel. The eyebrow cuts are incorrect and the U.S. looks to be hand stamped. Probably started life as a commercial rifle. None the less a good build up and neat kit.
    Last edited by Bsully; 03-01-2010 at 06:19. Reason: my writing skills suck

not sure what your getting at, but all the first 1000 M40,s were standard M700 Remingtons, and only the first 200 had the stripper clip guide.
    no M40,s were ever marked 40X..they were{are} marked 700.
    not all US marked 700,s were military issued rifles, many were used by other Gov sources.
    US Game and Fish in some states, FBI CIA, and some state police got them as well.
    my source at Remington cant help with who it was issued to, but can tell if it was military or other..
    contact Redstone Ars, for the info..they may or maynot be able to find the dispo, of that rifle.
    mine was likely a Wy, Game and Fish rifle. and never saw combat..
    mine is roll stamped U.S. PROPERTY above the serial number.
    i watched another M40 sell 2 weeks ago that was hand stamped U.S. by the CMP.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

3. Default

More than the first 200 were clip slotted. As a matter of fact all were clip slotted from the original contract to include the 600k serial numbered rifle just sold on CMP. There have been a few aborations that have shown up in publications with just a square cut out in the rear of the receiver but they are the exception to the rule if they are what they are said to be.

M40s are clip slotted the same way a 40x is clip slotted, hence the reference. No statement was made as to any marking only the clip slot and one would be identical to the other in that regard.

Have never seen a "US Property" roll stamped M40 but have seen the same on a 40x 22.

The rifles sold/ shipped to other sources were from later in the production run as the Marine Corps order was nearing its fullfilment. The were other agencies and departments the at ordered them concurently and in a few different configurations, to include a groupe to the Navy in ADL trim.

The rifle sold at the CMP was indeed roll stamped and is listed in the DOD central registry as an Air Force rifle.

Default M40 Style stock help

That is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever set eyes on!
    There are a lot of people with 5000 dollar match rifles, but to me, nothing beats the traditional look of parkerized steel and a walnut stock with an oil finish.

If you have (or can make) some more pictures of the rifle that would be great.

One question to everyone, I intend to buy a Remington (SPS Varmint) and put an m40 style stock on it, but I have a hard time finding a stock. (I can do the finishing myself)
    It's not complicated, Monte Carlo cheek piece, no grip caps, no checkering, and a sporter style fore end, so basically an ADL stock with a BDL cut out. which was exactly what the original stocks where. but it's hard to find.

Numrich seems to have one, but is has no pictures and I have not been able to find anything else.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, Louis
    Gun control: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

5. Default

There is a gent in PA that does them I believe, http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/duplication.html
    give him a try.

Default Thanks for the link

Thanks!
    His work seems good.

Ay main question here is actually, does he ship to Europe?
    you see, I live in Europe, so things that are easy to get in the US are very difficult here. I have all the licenses required, so that is no problem, but even a simple thing like ordering a replacement stock for a rifle poses a problem. it has to be shipped, and a lot of companies don't send it overseas.
    A lot of companies like Midway-USA or even Brownell's often don't ship to Europe

Louis
    Gun control: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

The scope mounts are redfeild with a windage adjustment. I don't think I would feel comfortable with that set up as a sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by 30cal_Fun View Post
    Thanks!
    His work seems good.

Ay main question here is actually, does he ship to Europe?
    you see, I live in Europe, so things that are easy to get in the US are very difficult here. I have all the licenses required, so that is no problem, but even a simple thing like ordering a replacement stock for a rifle poses a problem. it has to be shipped, and a lot of companies don't send it overseas.
    A lot of companies like Midway-USA or even Brownell's often don't ship to Europe

Louis
    FYI: shipping gunparts to Europe is a Felony in the US..check your import laws.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    FYI: shipping gunparts to Europe is a Felony in the US..check your import laws.
    Not always, for barrels, receivers, bolts and ammunition, yes, because they are considered parts that "belong to, or facilitate the firing of cased ammunition" (to quote our book of law) however, a stock is not considered a gun part (it is marked "sporting good") because it is not part of the actual "firearm". as far back as I can remember people have been able to import things like stocks, triggers, and even whole rifles directly out of the US, a friend of mine ordered a Bushmaster AR15 a year ago, it cost him about 350 dollars in shipping costs, import fees and tax, but it was no problem to send it.
    I live in The Netherlands and for stocks, no permit is needed, for actual (metal) parts or whole rifles, you need a permit, which I have, so no problem there either if does happen to be considered a firearm part.

The problem is (quoting what online stores like Widway-USA say) that "because of differences in import laws throughout the world we have decided not to ship outside of the US"

So you see, the problem is not whether they CAN ship to my country, but if they ARE WILLING TO ship to my country.
    In our country, we have a very small (but avid) shooting community, so supplies are VERY limited here. importing opposes a problem often, or is very expensive, Which is a petty, because in the US you have all the good stuff.

but if you know any company that will ship riflestocks to Europe let me know.

Louis

If memory serves me right the Corp used Unertl scopes 10x back then. And any rifle can be a "sniper" rifle, it is the shooter that makes it so. Put a slug like me on an M40 and you get mediocre results no matter how good the weapon put a trained shooter and that is when the battlefield boogie man comes to play.