Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill E View Post
    Yes, beautiful rifle. Have you shot it? Thanks for posting.
    No yet, but it's also new to the stable. I have a couple other projects distracting me from shooting more.

This is the only ink stamp I had seen in person, on a gas cylinder. Interesting enough, I wonder if it is the same ink they used to mark the stock channels and trigger groups?

I really think it's an in-process thing. We may never know...

I ran the question regarding the DAS stamp by Bob Seijas and this is his thought:
    "I've seen a few marked in white (or pale yellow) paint, but don't know the particulars or time period. I agree, it is unlikely that they are SA originals. They are square (vs. round) so are final acceptance marks and so more than likely contractor parts."
    When Bob says "it is unlikely that they are SA originals", I think he is implying that they may be contracted gas cylinders used by SA during original builds of NM rifles or during rebuilds of earlier NM rifles, whichever applies. As Bob has said in the past, " A logical speculation without documentation, so really high grade guesswork."

I have a verified NM M1 with a verification letter from CMP. It was sold in '62 I think to a friend of the guy I bought it from (estate sale). I always wondered about the gas cylinder because it has no marks on it at all: no NM, no DAS no nothing.

4. Default

From what I have read, if the rifle has not been upgraded or rebuilt, the Gas Cylinder will not be marked. Correct me if I am wrong.
    liberum aeternum

5. Default

Also, I noticed that gas cylinders were mile/filed to provide clearance between the gas cylinder and the front hand guard. Did all the teams do this or did some relive the handguard. Seem to me it would have been easier to shorten the handguard.
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Martin View Post
    I have a verified NM M1 with a verification letter from CMP. It was sold in '62 I think to a friend of the guy I bought it from (estate sale). I always wondered about the gas cylinder because it has no marks on it at all: no NM, no DAS no nothing.

I got to thinking I dont beleive the early Type I NM had NM marked parts. I think they may have just been rifles assembled with careful assembly and sorting of best parts.
    Remeber though just becuase you have the letter stating it was sold as a NM rifle you do not know what parts have been swapped since it left CMP's hands
    Last edited by Orlando; 02-06-2016 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    Also, I noticed that gas cylinders were mile/filed to provide clearance between the gas cylinder and the front hand guard. Did all the teams do this or did some relive the handguard. Seem to me it would have been easier to shorten the handguard.
    Not all NM cylinder had the tab modified.

8. Default

FWIW
    In the1958 DCM Parts list there were no NM gas cylinders listed
    In the 1 July 1962 DCM Price list there are two entries:
    NM cylinder 1000-649-9269-B021.....$5.96
    Std cylinder 1005-653-5449-B021.....$3.85
    By 1967 the prices had risen to :
    NM..$7.18
    STD..$4.54

From the Springfield Armory NM training course. Dated 1 December 1960, under:
    General Requirements for rifle , U.S. .30,M1 National Match:
    9. Gas cylinder shall fit tightly on the barrel . There shall be no rotational motion
    12. Gas cylinder splined hole and rear ring shall meet the requirements of Alignment gage (sic)D7319207
    There was evidently some different requirement for the NM gas cylinder other than the service gas cylinder.
    There were never any NM Op Rods advertised.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 02-06-2016 at 02:46.

National Match rifles built at SA between 1953 and 1957 ( Type 1's) had no NM markings other than on the barrel between the rings of the gas cylinder. Those rifles built at SA in late 1958 and early 1959 for the 1959 National Matches were the first to have the NM marked gas cylinder. Also for 1959 the Standard Inspection Procedure (ORD-SIP-200) that " governed construction of rifles for the 1959 matches was modified as of 15 Dec. 1958 to include " On all rifles the letters NM shall be stamped on the Gas Cylinders, rear sight bases and rear sight windage knob assemblies...Apertures shall be stamped NM595 and front sights shall be stamped NM062.....". It is because of these specially constructed or NM parts that some collectors consider the NM rifles built for 1958 and 1959 to be an "Intermediate Type" between the as-Issued Type 1 and the NM rifles built for 1960 and latter Matches which have glass bedded stocks.
    Most of what I have written above is from the Article "The Type 2 National Match, Part 1" written by Bob Seijas for the Fall 2003 GCA Journal.

The "tab modification" of the gas cylinder was not done by Springfield Armory during original build or the rebuild of an earlier NM rifle. This was a user/ military match armorer, modification and found on many former military match rifles.
    Last edited by 2111; 02-07-2016 at 09:09.