Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 03 Rifle Team

Yeah I would love to see them. Dan what was your Grandfather's name? I'm digging in this Era a lot with the Marines. I might find him.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinIll View Post
    No I don't sorry.By the gear I see and uniforms I'd guess between 1912 and 1916.
    Thanks for sharing the photo. Besides the rifles, I always get a kick out of the "personalized" hats.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated. Name: Cpl David Shapiro

Enlisted in 1900 at 8th and I at the age of 15. Rank was 'applicant'. Six months later, promoted to the rank of 'boy'. Became a drummer and moved on to Trumpeter. During WWI was promoted to Temporary Lieutenant, however wasn't sent to Europe, instead got sent to the Caribbean. Retired in 1929 after 30 years as Sgt Major.
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 02-03-2016 at 08:45.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

In re: the original picture. It looks to me as if the M1903's have "swept back" bolt handles which would mean that the picture was later than 1918. It may be the prospective of the picture but both the rifles in the left front appear to have the swept bolt but it is morel obvious on the second rifle from the left.
    FWIW

Cool photos there!

I shot a 60 round (plus sighters) all prone 600 match with my 1903A3.... once. Wifey thought I'd been in a fight when I got home that night.
    I didn't win, but I wasn't close to bottom either.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    In re: the original picture. It looks to me as if the M1903's have "swept back" bolt handles which would mean that the picture was later than 1918. It may be the prospective of the picture but both the rifles in the left front appear to have the swept bolt but it is morel obvious on the second rifle from the left.
    FWIW
    I think that is a distortion due to the angle in the image.The two rifles in the back are pretty much straight on views aren't bent handles.Taken with the uniforms and equipment,cartridge belts,it is certainly before 1916.Some of the stuff would have been pretty dated even for the NG post-1918 IMO.

12651129_1019078541464984_4648795274754396694_n.jpg
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.