Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighing cases

Default Weighing cases

When weighing cases and sorting by weight, what is the interval used to separate by weight, .2grain? More? Less?
    thanks

I am a service rifle competitor. When I began I did all manner of case preparation to include selecting cases by weight. It became apparent to me that much of what I was doing was a waste of time. One of the high master (NRA rating) shooters I met in the Navy shooting program told me that all that fine detail that I was doing to my "short line" (200 & 300 yard) ammunition was a waste of time. I now completly agree with that opinion. As I usually load one thousand rounds at a time for my "short line" ammunition, I select a couple hundred cases for the six hundred yard range and do to them the fine detail such as weighing cases and checking bullet runout etc. These latter last me the season for the year as I only use them for competition. I don't expect to be shooting clover leaf or single hole groups, I am just trying to hold the ten ring.

I would suggest you weigh the entire lot of brass, cull the extremes and load the bulk for whatever purpose you are loading them for. Unless you are a benchrest shooter, I doubt you will notice much difference.

A fellow shooter would fill each case with water then weigh the water only. That is how he choose his cases for bench rest testing.

There is not a person alive that is capable of telling the difference of the bullet strike at 600-1000 yards between weighted and non-weighted cases. There are many other more important factors to contend with. Cases sorted by manufacturer would be just a beneficial.

5. Default

Sorting by headstamp is all. I would check the bullet run out. If sorting by run out makes a difference then I would upgrade to a better seating die set up.

"...There is not a person alive..." Or dead. Weighing cases is a bench rest shooting technique that only applies to bench rest shooting. Makes no difference to the rest of us. Neither does the water capacity.
    "...just trying to hold the ten ring..." That'd be 12" at 600 and 20" at 800 plus for NRA shooting.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks for delivering me from an exercise in futility.
    I found about 450 once fired LC 72 match brass at a gun show and trimmed all to the same length so sounds like I should be good to go. I am not a bench shooter.

Go back and read how/why Dillon came up with the progressive loader. He proved time and time again, his reloads were as accurate as the bench shooters that went to the extremes on case prep.

interesting!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Christian View Post
    When weighing cases and sorting by weight, what is the interval used to separate by weight, .2grain? More? Less?
    thanks
    I loaded 250 30/06 cases on a Dillon RL550B, when finished I weighed each loaded round and found 17 grains difference between the heavies and lightest. One of my favorite characters in the old days was Wallis Berry, he had a way to eliminate worry; "It's OK there little buddy, don you worry about it". I worry about 17 grains difference between the lightest and heaviest; If I do not know the weight of the components before I start there is no way to determine the amount of powder in each case before pulling the trigger.

And then there is "Must have been a double charge" or "no charge" and the next case gets both charge.

I went to the firing range with another local reloader. We set up with another shooter between us. The shooter/reloader was doing everything he could do to pull the hammer back, pull the trigger, or rotate the cylinder and he even tried to swing the cylinder out; nothing. He had a bullet lodged in the forcing cone that locked his cylinder. We stopped our shooting and helped him, we drove the bullet back into the case and emptied his cylinder. To out surprise he started loading 6 more rounds into his S&W Model 66. We tried to rationalize with him; if he did not know of one case had no powder how sure was he the next round fired had both changes. We offered to help him with his reloading, we offered to loan him equipment etc. All we managed to do was make him mad, he left. We offered to give him all the ammo he could shoot.

I went to the range because the other reloader said I did not know how to load for the 1911 45 ACP. His ammo did not work any better than my reloads. My ACP likes new ammo, it does not like cases with bullet lines.

F. Guffey

I suggested the reloader learn discipline, I could not convince him he could have determined the amount of powder in each loaded round had he know the weight of the components. And then there are bench resters.