Thread: Recent Gunbroker win...NRA Rock Island

1. Default Recent Gunbroker win...NRA Rock Island Pics added

Just won this one recently (get it Tuesday)..I am guessing the stock is incorrect due to the two crossbolts and the handguard looks newer....but the rest looks ok, including the straight bolt...Plus at this price it was hard to argue..I will post more detailed pics when I get it...comments welcome, thanks, Mike
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=533805342
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 01-13-2016 at 11:49.

I took a LONG look at that rifle - I think, even with the incorrect stock, you did well.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Seasons' Greetings!

You did indeed acquire an authentic Rock Island NRA sales rifle. And as you noted, the stock has been replaced. The handguard, however, appears correct and original. And the rest of the rifle appears correct and original, except that it should have a milled fine-checkered buttplate. And I concur with Rick the Librarian. You did well.

Congratulations! And Happy New Year!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 01-08-2016 at 09:02.

Very nice rifle! You did well. I have RIA 234129 dated 6-13, barrel steel lot C93P. There was a post I made here several years back on it and even though it does not have the NRA logo J.B. stated that it was probably an early sales rifle, as they were not marked as such prior to 1915. Also, and I'm not soliciting here, if you read the current post on my Mk.1 rifle (no cartouche), I now have a very nice early checkered plate I don't need! Just sayin'. I was also intrigued by the sling on your rifle, I'm not familiar with that mfg. but will research it and let you know what I find. Please add some photos when you get your rifle. Congrats.
    Last edited by GWS; 01-09-2016 at 05:02.

Been looking for a RIA NRA Sales rifle for a long time. In fact, have an extra Springfield NRA Sales rifle I'd offer in trade, if anyone knows of one.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

I am guessing the buttplate was part of the stock swap..I messaged the seller if he still knew of the whereabouts of the stock..I can always hope..The sling, looks to be a period correct sling..Hamfisted screw removal is evident also, again probably due to the stock swap..Thanks again for all the comments and verification..You can still find good deals even on GB..Mike

7. Default Pics added..

Well it arrived, stock/handguard were trashed..Handguard was original but they extended the sight groove and hacked down the humps and the stock was cracked from the middle band to the bayonet mount...I had a 1918 springfield stock/handguard lying around awaiting a barreled receiver so I threw it on for now until I can find an original..Bolt is matching, bayonet lug doesn't have an H so bands likely original, and finally this rifle was shot...a lot.... bore cleaned up some, not shiny, lands and grooves weak, practically swallows a bullet, but it's shooting days are behind it...Bolt is "krag" like in it's smoothness...Sling is in very good condition and very serviceable...Here are a few pics...Attachment 33934Attachment 33935Attachment 33936Attachment 33937Attachment 33938
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 05-02-2019 at 10:51.

Still it may shoot pretty well even if the bore is weak. Go shoot it and find out.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Still it may shoot pretty well even if the bore is weak. Go shoot it and find out.
    The serial number is in the "low number" class.

10. Default

if,you care to sell the sling,i don't have that maker yet....please let me know-thanks,scott