Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Well, he wanted to remove the metal clip attached to the hand guard.
    Oh...I re-ground the ends on a medium/large pair of snap-ring pliers for that.

I got the tool for that... it ain't all that easy to use and takes some practice and a few cracked handguards!.. for only one, try any of the methods described above.. you'll do better
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Huh?...I just strip all the parts off the front of the musket and slide the rear handguard off the front too...no muss no fuss..no damaged wood..only tool needed is for the gas-screw
    There ya go. But to get the band off of the wood, I run a little wire(smaller than a coat hanger) though the (not)oprod side and secure it in the Vise. Grab the wood on either side of the band and pull towards yourself, rotate the wood down and Voila! the band comes free.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    . . . . . to get the band off of the wood, I run a little wire(smaller than a coat hanger) though the (not)oprod side and secure it in the Vise. Grab the wood on either side of the band and pull towards yourself, rotate the wood down and Voila! the band comes free.
    Yup . . . this . . . .

Been doing it this way for years . . . no problem! (Unless one is a complete DOLT!) --Jim

5. Default Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Yup . . . this . . . .

Been doing it this way for years . . . no problem! (Unless one is a complete DOLT!) --Jim

The dolts around here just use a piece of picture frame wire. Works well.
    Last edited by meterman; 01-06-2016 at 12:33.

I bought the tool for 19 about 10 years ago & used it 3-400 times & never cracked a handguard! I see the handguards selling for 40+? Do the math!

Buy the frickin' tool ferchrisakes. It's not that expensive and you won't be damaging any handguards.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1385.aspx