Thread: B2 NS bolt

1. Default B2 NS bolt

A friend and '03 guy (a Chosin Reservoir Marine who actually carried an '03 in combat, by the way), has a standard SA B2 bolt also marked n.s. on the top of the bolt handle. This same bolt, interestingly, has a "4" stamped on the top of the gas ported extractor (top in as next to the extractor collar when the bolt is closed.)

May not be rare, but neither he nor I can recall having seen either B2 and n.s. on the same bolt, nor the number 4 on the extractor. Are these known markings?

2. Default

I don't recall seeing such a beast.

I often wondered how many NS bolts became such through the shady use of an "N" and an "S" stamp in a basement somewhere down on Tobacco Road.

3. Default

FWIW, I've had a couple of B2 bolts and they were not marked NS.

Me, too -- nothing that I've ever seen. Were NS and B2 on the same "side" (top)?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Seasons' Greetings!

I believe I have seen a bolt marked like you describe, but I don't have a record of it in my data base. Can you post of picture of the marking? Please oblige.

I also seem to recall having a bolt in my collection erroneously marked "N.S./M2", and it's .30 caliber bolt, not a .22 caliber bolt.

The "4" marking on the extractor as you describe is a very common Remington marking.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.

6. Default B2 bolt

I have not laid eyes on the bolt in question. It and it's owner live a fair ways north, and I am operating on a phone description.

John: I'll get a photo next time I see him and try to send it on, probably via email. Neither I nor the salty Marine in question have emerged very far into the computer generation...

RTL: I believe he said the NS and the B2 are on the top of the bolt root. I don't believe an 03A3 extractor would have a gas escape hole. Could an early Remington/RIA 1903 extractor have such a hole and the number "4"?

Regards and thanks for your replies. Happy and healthy Christmas to all. Dokcop.

Quote Originally Posted by dokcop View Post
    I have not laid eyes on the bolt in question. It and it's owner live a fair ways north, and I am operating on a phone description.

I don't believe an 03A3 extractor would have a gas escape hole. Could an early Remington/RIA 1903 extractor have such a hole and the number "4"?

Regards and thanks for your replies. Happy and healthy Christmas to all. Dokcop.
    Seasons' Greetings!

Yes! An early Remington M1903 extractor could indeed have a gas hole and the number "4" stamped on the swell.

Merry Christmas!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 12-23-2015 at 02:57.