Thread: 03 Stock Cartouche Question

Default 03 Stock Cartouche Question

Came across a cut 03 stock that I forgot I had. Were the usual cartouche would be it appears to have the eaglehead acceptance stamp (without the numbers) as found on M1917 stocks. I've never seen that before. Would this have been a replacement stock? Just curious.

There was a relatively limited time about 1918 that these inspection stamps were used on M1903s, as well. They have been illustrated/discussed before. Maybe someone will include a picture or further information.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

As far as I know, pertaining to 1903's, the eagle is seen on some rifles and some bayonets made in 1918 at Springfield Armory. No other year. Look carefully and you should see numbers at the bottom.

Last edited by Fred; 12-02-2015 at 07:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    As far as I know, pertaining to 1903's, the eagle is seen on some rifles and some bayonets made in 1918 at Springfield Armory. No other year. Look carefully and you should see numbers at the bottom.

The finish is dark and grungy, but under strong light I was able too see the numbers. Thanks.