Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMP's 1911 Notice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    CMP and the M1911
    I do not wish to "rain on anyone's parade" or be the harbinger of doom but I should like to put forth some thoughts to consider.
    It is my opinion that, even if the CMP does gain owner ship of the M1911 & 1911A1 pistols presently in the army inventory, it will face an enormous problem in selling them to members. Given the myriad of federal, state, county and city laws ,ordnances, and regulation controlling the sale and possession and ownership of handguns by local populations. As a private corporation(] "The CPRPFS is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation chartered by the U.S. Congress, but is not an agency of the U.S. government (Title 36, United States Code, Section 40701 et seq.). Apart from a donation of surplus .22 and .30 caliber rifles in the Army's inventory to the CMP, the CMP receives no federal funding." This was extracted from the CMP Page)the CMP will probably have to employ a rather extensive legal staff to comply with all such laws and ordnances before selling and shipping these handguns. At one time, the CMP could ship rifles directly to purchases with no problems. I know that in the state of California and perhaps many other jurisdictions, mandate that all firearms must now go through a licensed firearms dealer. In some states, the dealer must have special authorization to sell handguns over and above the federal laws. There are other peculiarities . In the state of New York, NYC pistol licenses are recognized throughout New York state, but licenses issued by authorized authorities outside NYC are not recognized by NYC. Some states require that applicants pass certain tests before purchasing a handgun.
    Let us look at some practical considerations.
    1. What is the condition of these pistols?
    2. Are they all RFI (ready for issue) or are some of them retrograde material turned in to supply for overhaul?
    3. I would assume that they are of both the M1911 and the M1911A1 configuration. The M1911 was superseded by the M1911A1 in 1921. I believe that the last procurement of M1911 series was in 1945. These are not pristine collector items but are/were items of issue for use as tools of the services.
    4. Many of them have been overhauled more than, once though there might be some in pristine in "new in the box" condition (very few I would think).
    5. The US government wants to dispose of the them because of the cost of maintaining them. Can the CMP provide the storage and security management for a lesser cost.?
    6. Does this disposition include spare parts ?
    7. These factors must be taken into consideration when pricing these pistols for sale. What if the established price exceeds the cost of a new M1911 model from Colt or other manufacturers? Does the collector value warrant such a larger price? That is for the collector to answer. When one wants to restore one of these to a better condition-what is the availability and cost to do so. A number of years ago I purchased a new in the wrap new Colt M1911 slide with all of the internal parts for $80.00. What would that cost today - if available?
    There are I suspect other questions that need be asked.
    I expect that I shall get some feed back to these comments.
    #1&2 should be covered by Da Gimp's post

Hey phil... they are as new from arsenal rebuild... typically all that I saw/heard about are mix masters... but are good decent 1911A1's all in .45ACP...if you get one like our county's... they are all reparked & seem to be dern nice users............ if you are looking for a pristine US&S or Ithaca... NIB or still in as issued condition with matching slide, barrel etc to receiver I think you will be disappointed...Even our M14's were bone dry... someone was kind enough to remove all of the cosmoline... & were so clean that any DI would be in tears of joy at their condition.... but needed a dab of grease & Breakfree where it is always needed on the rails etc..........to the best of my knowledge none were matching..........

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...525#post437525

#3 1924, but all else, correct.

#4 concur

#5 If transferred to the CMP, they are off the government's books so the cost benefit analysis is moot. I would guess the CMP would not take in more than they could handle at one time if storage space is an issue. Obviously they have storage space and security for a dwindling supply of M1 garands which take up much more space per unit than a pistol, so my SWAG is space isn't a problem. Also note both the 1911's and the CMP are in Anniston, it's not like they'd have to ship them cross country.

#6 I don't know. Of course there are dozens if not hundreds of 1911 part suppliers.

#7 The CMP charter states they must sell at fair market value.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Copy/paste from the CMP website someplace under the sales information, anyone can lookit it up with a little trouble in case it was perceived I'm smart enough to have fabricated this myself:

If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a certificate, license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your certificate, license, permit, or card with the application for purchase. Rifle shipments to WA, NY and NJ must be made to a state licensed dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer’s license with your order form. Rifle shipments to CA must be made to a State licensed dealer or may be made to individual homes, providing that a CA Certificate of Eligibility and a Curio and Relic License are provided. Rifle shipments to CT must be made to licensed or dealer or may be shipped directly to the customer if a C&R license is provided.

As a result of CT Bill 1160 and Bill 13-220 , which revised CT Bill 1160, all CT customers purchasing rifles to be delivered in CT must have the rifle shipped to a CT licensed dealer or must provide us with a copy of their current Type 3 (C&R) FFL license. We can ship directly to a customer's home if they possess a C&R license.

WA, NY, NJ and CT customers who have already mailed their rifle orders to CMP should provide custserve@thecmp.org with dealer information or order cancellation instructions. Information can also be faxed to 256-835-3527 or mailed to CMP Customer Service, (Attn: FFL Order), 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

From the above it will be seen that CMP already has some experience in dealing with various state laws and whatnot. They'll do just fine.

Also, perhaps no other organization extant in the country today has more experience with receipt, storage, handling, inspection, classification, repair and distribution of obsolete U.S. surplus weaponry, not to mention importation and reclaimation of weapons on loan to foreign governments, than the CMP organization. The numbers of M1, M1903, M1917, M1 Carbine and various 22-cal target rifles that have run thru the organization since it was formed have to be staggering. They'll be able to handle it, rest assured.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

5. Default

I guess it happened with the signing of the NDAA. The Secretary of the Army is authorized to release 10000 M1911/1911A1 pistols to the CMP.

Here's a good link saving me typing. Happy Thanksgiving y'all !

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-day-miracle/
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand

O's only agenda is to put the GOP in the trick bag, other then climate change. He will veto any bill that will put the GOP in a bad light and he hopes to turn the voters against the GOP. Doesn't matter if the bill would be good for the country or not. His chief concern is trying to destroy the Repubs.

Very glad to see that the 1911's going to the CMP stayed with the new bill. 100,000 pistols @ 10,000 per year will go fast like the Greek returned 1903's. I'll be in line if and when the time comes. Still got to get them turned over to the CMP, and knowing this president will do anything in his powers to prevent or delay this should be expected. Be nice to get a pistol with that much history behind it, rebuilt or not.
    Chris

There is one problem with this. The wording states the Secretary of the Army MAY release to CMP 10,000 in a pilot program. It do not state he SHALL release. The Secretary of the Army is a O'Bama YES MAN. If the Pres were to say Don't release them he won't do it. So till they are release to CMP we should not be counting on it happening. I am all for it but right now I have my doubts about it.

The wording " May release " has me concerned as well. Obamas crew wouldn't release a slingshot if they had anything to say about it. That might be why they didn't make more of a fuss about the provision in the bill for the 1911's, they still have the ability to shut it down. I agree, should have been " Shall release ". Sure be glad when this fool is gone.
    Chris

10. Default

The latest from the CMP regarding the 1911 program.

An update on the 1911's

The NDAA 2016 has passed. We have no further information concerning the status of the 1911s. We will update our customers as we know more. Please do not email or call with questions regarding the 1911s. Our systems are overloaded.

If you would like to sign up for our Sales Email Updates, please visit our website and SIGN UP!

For eligibility requirements for ordering through the CMP, please visit our website.

Thank you, Mark Johnson, Chief Operating Officer
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand