Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Is the butt plate wood or metal? I thin this is a fine example of a near last ditch... but not actually "Last Ditch". A true last ditch wouldn't have a mum, just a bare receiver top.
    Buttplate is wooden with 3 nails. 20 photos in the link above. Links should work now. Thanks. Didn't know there was a "near last ditch"....I'm learning from scratch today. Always thought wooden buttplate and rear peep and no full handguard meant "last ditch". Hope now someone can tell me an approximate production date.

Many thanks to all. Can anyone recommend a good beginning collector book on the Type 99?
    Last edited by TSimonetti; 04-16-2015 at 09:07.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Series 25, made from approximately Jan. 1945 to August 1945. By your serial number 73299 (that's when serial numbers help) your rifle was toward the end of the run (and the war). In reading "The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle", there were no inspection marks on the butt stock of the series 25. Your rifle should have a separate forestock, it is NOT "duffle cut". The last 74,000 rifles produced by Kokura were referred to as "Substitute Type 99. They were cutting the dust cover grooves, even though the dust covers had been deleted long ago.

With the "mum", and original finish, including the "chatter marks" on the stock, all matching numbers, I'd say you have a real find there. They ain't making these any more!
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

TS, check your "PMs"
    Last edited by Deano41; 04-16-2015 at 10:20.
    Dean (the other one)

Is every one assuming the had guard is square at the back? That could account for the gap.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Is the butt plate wood or metal? I thin this is a fine example of a near last ditch... but not actually "Last Ditch". A true last ditch wouldn't have a mum, just a bare receiver top. They are usually pretty rough! As for the indexing, it would have to be way off before it would pose a headspace or functionality problem. Yours is really just a hair off, and could be a result of mis-cut threads... Just a hair off!

As Deano41 said, T99s have a very generous chamber. If you're concerned about head spacing, chamber a fired case and see if your bolt handle is excessively loose. I suspect it's fine... especially if the bolt numbers match the last three of the serial number. Arisaka rifles have matching numbers on everything... but many don't match because bolts and other parts were removed when the were brought back and tossed together. When they were reassembled apon arrival in the states, they didn't check numbers, and just installed what ever bolt they happened to grab. Petty common!
    I've been told that "last ditch" Arisaka's had a hole drilled through the butt stock to facilitate the sling, any truth to this?
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Yes, at the end of the war, they were cutting corners any way they could. The sling attachment on the buttstock was omitted, and a hole drilled for a rope sling. They are not that common, and as such can command a higher price on today's market.
    Dean (the other one)

I'm thinking it is a series 25, Kokura arsenal.