Default Looking for the SA 1903 that marries to my Warner-Swasey 1913 Scope

I just picked up a nice W-S 1913 scope (S/N: 7616) with original mount, case and base that was issued to SA 1903 S/N: 936514. It's a long shot and I suspect the odds are greater for winning the PowerBall Lottery but what the heck, I enjoy a challenge. I'd like to find (if it wasn't dumped over the side of a ship, sent out as a MAP weapon or eaten by Capt'n Crunch) it's original receiver. I've missed a few plugged receivers on the CMP Auction and GB so I'd also be interested in any original plugged receiver for that matter. Any leads sure would be appreciated. Thanks
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered shall never know."

I have #936492 It was put back into service as a regular 03 and then converted to a drill rifle. I was lucky and found a very good condition original barrel and there was very minimal welding on the cutoff so I had it restored, new stock and park. The W-S scope is in OK condition but the rubber eyepiece is hard as a rock and distorted and interferes with the bolt. The rifle is a tack driver with the iron sights but the scope and my eyes don't agree. Barrel date 9-18 scope #4165 I don't see a rifle serial # on the scope so it was probably never on a rifle and sold as surplus.I was going to sell my whole rig for $2500

check your PM
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered shall never know."

4. Default

Good luck in the search.

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    Good luck in the search.

jt
    Thanks. I'm researching serial numbers to see what has sold in the past, what is real and what are just regular 1903's drilled and tapped. Guess I'll ping the CMP and see if they've ever had it or have any old DCM records. Heck, I'd love to build one off an original plugged receiver in the mean time if I can find one.

6. Default

I know of three matched sets (M1903 and M1913 combined), and I have been researching them for years. Working against you is the attrition of rifles during WWI and the destruction of many of the low number receivers. Lend/lease programs probably led to the loss of others. Early DCM sales of rifles and the natural attrition in civilian hands accounted for more losses. Of the rifles now in private hands, only a minute fraction of owners have any knowledge of their rifle being unique. The odds of winning the lottery may be better than finding one of the old treasures.

It is a daunting task to be sure, but at least three people have been successful.

jt

Too bad I couldn't link-up with the owner of the above sister receiver to mine. Maybe next time but in the meanwhile, I'll keep searching for a match. Maybe I'll find the M1c scope base I'm looking for too. Who knows. Either way, it'll be fun and a learning adventure.