danco101 Guest

delete
    Last edited by danco101; 11-28-2015 at 11:59. Reason: delete

I'd need to see a close-up shot of the front end of the stock and front sight to be sure... but I believe this is actually a cut-down rifle made to look like a carbine. The stock does not look like a carbine stock at first glance. ALL Krag carbine stocks have the band retained by a spring, where as rifle stocks used a pin through the stock. Post some pictures of the front sight, rear sight showing the increments of the ladder, and the front end of the stock. Many times, the front sight post was re-attached after the barrel was cut, which makes it look correct when it is in fact not. Also, measure your barrel length from the muzzle to the closed bolt face. A carbine should be exactly 22 inches.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

3. Default

No hit on SRS, but everything on both sides are carbines.

Sorry... I missed that.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

'danco101' - IMHO - With the cut-down stock, your friend's Krag has been reduced to its value in parts. A lot of this value would be tied to the bore condition of the carbine barrel and the type of rear-sight.

A real model 1896 carbine sight can bring $500 to $600 on Ebay. Many carbine sights have been 'looted' and replaced with more common and less valuable rifle sights.

If this Krag has a real carbine barrel with a decent bore and a real model 1896 carbine rear-sight, it becomes more desirable as a candidate for restoration.

Your pictures don't show enough detail to give a useful assessment.

That's kind of where I was actually going too.