Default 1938 M1911 today at auction

A 1938 M1911 with a serial number indicating it went to the USN sold today at James Julia for $54,000. It's estimate was for $3,000 to 4,000 It was about an 85% condition pistol. The times are changing.
    http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=1938+colt&...meta_value=386

That price is really "over the top" for that pistol, but at auctions, anything can and will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Josephic View Post
    That price is really "over the top" for that pistol, but at auctions, anything can and will happen.
    Yup, someone wanted it very bad for whatever reason.

4 years ago I could have bought a 95%++ 1938 beauty for 7,000 bucks but it eloped with another man before I could get there. Saw it last year for $20K and thought that was way out of my range. $54K? I guess I'm inhabiting the wrong world.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Yup, someone wanted it very bad for whatever reason.
    TWO guys wanted it very bad...
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    TWO guys wanted it very bad...
    Or one guy and a really good auctioneer... Truman

7. Default

I had a chance to inspect that gun in the morning before the auction started. It was a pretty nice piece. I even got a few bids in before it skyrocketed out of sight...! I knew it was going to command a premium, but I must say, I agree with you all - a couple people perhaps got auction fever. Either that, or we are seeing new highs in the 1911A1 collector's market.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gbethu View Post
    A 1938 M1911 with a serial number indicating it went to the USN sold today at James Julia for $54,000. It's estimate was for $3,000 to 4,000 It was about an 85% condition pistol. The times are changing.
    http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=1938+colt&...meta_value=386

712799 went for a lot of money for whatever reason!

It is not in my database and two numbers higher than owned by one of the frequent posters here. Personally shocked at the price, but as many have said the 1938s are far more scarce than Singers. Maybe its time to upgrade the $$$$ in the database! /K
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand

Default 1938

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    712799 went for a lot of money for whatever reason!

It is not in my database and two numbers higher than owned by one of the frequent posters here. Personally shocked at the price, but as many have said the 1938s are far more scarce than Singers. Maybe its time to upgrade the $$$$ in the database! /K
    I've learned that 1938s are particularily desirable M1911A-1s I had one verfied by Troy Partin, an expert who owns probably the best examle known before I bought it at RIAC. Troy, unlike some others on these boards is not selling guns for a living and owns some of the best M1911s known You would kill for his first batch issue of a USMC 1911.
    I would check with an expert (no dealers) before investing. This 1938 went for the very hight point of today's market. Send me a PM if you want to contact him....I've never regretted it.