Thread: 7.62 Brass

1. Default 7.62 Brass

I have come across 7.62 Ammo with a head stamp that I'm not familiar with. It is stamped ZV at 12 o'clock 69 at 5 0'clock and 7.62 at 7 o'clock.
    It also has a black colored primer. Any information as to origin and how it performs would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would guess foreign made... possibly Czech or some other bloc country. Are they annealed? Any markings like you describe means that they are military stock. I have a bunch of cases marked IK-72 and 7.62mm (Swiss I think), and they were pretty good accurate stuff... and completely reloadable. Have any been fired? Look in the case and see if there are two flash holes. If so, they are Berdan primed and not worth the effort to mess with. A single flash hole in the center is Boxer primed, and they may be reloadable.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Is it 308 brass? There is 7.62x39 brass for AKs.

ZV = Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic) Factory in Vlasim
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    I have a bunch of cases marked IK-72 and 7.62mm (Swiss I think), and they were pretty good accurate stuff... and completely reloadable.
    That head stamp is for Igman Zavod that was manufactured in Yugoslavia.

6. Default

Good site for head stamp codes.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes

Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia is commercial ammo. cartridgecollectors.org is your friend. Good stuff if your rifle likes it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    That head stamp is for Igman Zavod that was manufactured in Yugoslavia.
    Ya know... now that you've said that, I do remember that it was Yugo! It was pretty good stuff though... Of course, it's all shot up now, but I do reload that brass occasionally.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo