Default Found an unusual 1911/1911a1 today

Hi folks. I could use some help. I've been collecting military weapons for almost 45 years and usually I don't get stumped. But today I came across a 1911 or 1911a1 that has me confused. It is serial number 629465, which is just before the cutoff for WWI production at 629500. However it has a W prefix and is covered with British proofs and release markings. It also has 1911a1 finger relief cutouts but WWI double diamond grips. It does not have US military inspection marks on the left side of the frame but it does have a P proof. The frame is devoid of ord proofs or US Government model markings on the right side. The slide is blank on the right side like an A1.

Finish is 65-75%. I'd appreciate thoughts on what the pistol is, maybe early Battle of Britian blanket procurement or Lend Lease? Any idea of value?

Cell phone pics attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like bogus serial number. What are the markings on top of receiver?

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The W prefix pistols were 1911 style, and the serial numbers of the .455 pistols were never even close to that serial number. The .455 pistols had British military inspections marks which that pistol doesn't have.

Agreed. S/N is way above commercial W prefix numbers.

For a bogus serial number pick out a number that never existed and you know you won't be duplicating an existing serial number.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The W prefix pistols were 1911 style, and the serial numbers of the .455 pistols were never even close to that serial number. The .455 pistols had British military inspections marks which that pistol doesn't have.
    Once again I failed to fact check my memory. Thanks for the correction.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

9. Default

Not to mention the frame is a M1911 A1 type and that didn't start until the transitional pistols with serial No. 700001.