Default Speaking of Rolling Blocks

While we're on the subject ... This is my BP gun. It started life as an Argy long rifle my dad bought, maybe 1962, out of a barrel of them in an Oklahoma City gun shop. IIRC it was $11.95. Dad had it cut down and a barrel reline in .44 mag. It was an OK gun at best. I used it for plinking for years after dad lost interest.

My brother had a similar rifle which he had rechambered to .444 Marlin. It shoots harder with lower chamber pressure than the .44 mag. But that's another story.

This one I wanted to shoot black powder exclusively. I took it to Roy Bedeaux in Albuquerque. He had a couple old .45 barrels with deep, Whitworth-style rifling. I had an old original Argy barrel and had Roy copy the profile, including the short octagonal section and with a 24” length. It came out really nice.

The extra few inches of barrel help burn the powder better than the carbine length, and the balance is improved. This is a rifle I can shoot offhand easily and hit what I aim at. The Williams sight is something my dad put on back in the day and it is perfect for me, doesn't get into your face the way a tang sight does. And the gun hits hard, believe me.

This is my backup gun for elk hunting.

rb_2.jpgrb_1.jpg rb_3.jpg

'jon' - That's a nice Business Rifle!