Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I inadvertently loaded the photos I use for reference of the barrel of serial No 39, Chuck Clawson's gun. Sorry. I'll get photos of #10 , 88 and 92 after I return from vacation Sorry for the mix up. Gordon

2. Default

Am I seeing things, or is there an "S" stamped on the rear of the barrel hood?
    Last edited by Rob Greer; 07-31-2015 at 05:27.

Rob, no marks at all anwehere. Used a 10x loop.
    Last edited by gbethu; 07-31-2015 at 05:46.

4. Default

Thanks for the confirmation! I think I should stop drinking... (Funny though... I don't drink!) It must have been something funky with the ipad.
    Last edited by Rob Greer; 07-31-2015 at 08:38.

5. Default

gbethu,

I hope it is OK to hijack your thread a little.?

See the following thread for another early barrel?: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...-and-Magazines

I just read gbethu's explanation of the pictures he put up for No. 10---and they turn out to be No.39's barrel. I do not know if it is just ironic, or what I have been told over the last thirty years is true---"you (I) will only get to see one of these barrels". When I first examined No. 39 many years ago---Chuck urged me to study the barrel very closely, because I might find one some day. When I told an old cranky collector about 39 and it's barrel---He said it is the only one you will ever see! Well, I got to examine that early replacement pistol (above link), and I think I got to examine another. So, when gbethu put up pictures of an early barrel, I thought that was another one---turns out to be a barrel I have already studied. I think gbethu has other early barrels, I sure hope we get to see them! I got to examine No. 38---wrong barrel. And another two digit---wrong barrel. Another old collector, who has examined many more than me---believes the only one he has examined is in No. 39.?

I asked many times before---anyone out there (other than gbethu) willing to show us pictures of a very early unmarked Colt barrel?

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan4; 08-01-2015 at 10:37.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
    gbethu,

See the following thread for another early barrel?: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...-and-Magazines

I just read gbethu's explanation of the pictures he put up for No. 10---and they turn out to be No.39's barrel. I do not know if it is ironic, or what I have been told over the last thirty years is true---"you (I) will only get to see one of these barrels". When I first examined No. 39 many years ago---Chuck urged me to study the barrel very closely, because I might find one some day. When I told an old cranky collector about 39 and it's barrel---He said it is the only one you will ever see! Well, I got to examine that early replacement pistol (above link), and I think I got to examine another. So, when gbethu put up pictures of an early barrel, I thought that was another one---turns out to be a barrel I have already studied. I think gbethu has other early barrels, I sure hope we get to see them! I got to examine No. 38---wrong barrel. And another two digit---wrong barrel. Another old collector, who has examined many more than me---believes the only one he has examined is in No. 39.?

I asked many times before---anyone out there (other than gbethu) willing to show us pictures of a very early unmarked Colt barrel?

Best Regards,
    OK, I understand. (Just like the details on Singer parts---and helping the fakers.) Anyone out there that thinks (other than gbethu) they have a barrel (without showing it)?

Best Regards,

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
    gbethu, Stan is the link slot un reviled on (it look`s like it is) .that is one thing I look for on the early barrels .

I just read gbethu's explanation of the pictures he put up for No. 10---and they turn out to be No.39's barrel. I do not know if it is just ironic, or what I have been told over the last thirty years is true---"you (I) will only get to see one of these barrels". When I first examined No. 39 many years ago---Chuck urged me to study the barrel very closely, because I might find one some day. When I told an old cranky collector about 39 and it's barrel---He said it is the only one you will ever see! Well, I got to examine that early replacement pistol (above link), and I think I got to examine another. So, when gbethu put up pictures of an early barrel, I thought that was another one---turns out to be a barrel I have already studied. I think gbethu has other early barrels, I sure hope we get to see them! I got to examine No. 38---wrong barrel. And another two digit---wrong barrel. Another old collector, who has examined many more than me---believes the only one he has examined is in No. 39.?

Best Regards,
    Stan is the link slot the unrevealed one it looks like it to me it also lacks the step where the chamber meets the barrel and the shape of the lugs have that round look too that is seen on the 1911 barrels .

8. Default

Original barrel or not, I think to own the tenth 1911 made out of some 8 million+ such pistols produced to date is about as cool as it gets. Congratulations for being able to find that beauty, and thanks again for sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Original barrel or not, I think to own the tenth 1911 made out of some 8 million+ such pistols produced to date is about as cool as it gets. Congratulations for being able to find that beauty, and thanks again for sharing it with us.
    Thanks DSK. That's the way I think about all the rare 1911s I own. Everybody has a zit on them somewhere but we won't probably kick them out of bed about it.... Funny though, I put 39's barrel photo instead of #10. Now I know there are many, many more experts on these boards than me....however I think Chuck Clawson might be a better judge than most. Chuck sold me that gun and gave me his word that it was THE most original first day gun known anywhere.. That barrel some are discussing is from #39. My bet is most collectors have never even held a first day gun much less acquired expertise on what a barrel should look like. Just goes to show me that there are those that gotta give their 2 cents and prove (to whom I don't know) that they know more than others. This may be a reason the activity has dropped on this board...I get all the BS i need at home for free. Why ask for it here by sharing a photo ? Everyone who mentioned that this or that wasn't correct is probably full of it (at least Clawson would say so). Why bother to let them see something they won't ever see anywhere else? There are a lot of ways to question the accuracy of what is being offered without giving offense. This was just a test to see what kind of people are on these boards. Please don't forget that I started with the premise that there are many, many on these boards that know far more than me. Now I know there are fewer than I originally thought.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gbethu View Post
    Thanks DSK. That's the way I think about all the rare 1911s I own. Everybody has a zit on them somewhere but we won't probably kick them out of bed about it.... Funny though, I put 39's barrel photo instead of #10. Now I know there are many, many more experts on these boards than me....however I think Chuck Clawson might be a better judge than most. Chuck sold me that gun and gave me his word that it was THE most original first day gun known anywhere.. That barrel some are discussing is from #39. My bet is most collectors have never even held a first day gun much less acquired expertise on what a barrel should look like. Just goes to show me that there are those that gotta give their 2 cents and prove (to whom I don't know) that they know more than others. This may be a reason the activity has dropped on this board...I get all the BS i need at home for free. Why ask for it here by sharing a photo ? Everyone who mentioned that this or that wasn't correct is probably full of it (at least Clawson would say so). Why bother to let them see something they won't ever see anywhere else? There are a lot of ways to question the accuracy of what is being offered without giving offense. This was just a test to see what kind of people are on these boards. Please don't forget that I started with the premise that there are many, many on these boards that know far more than me. Now I know there are fewer than I originally thought.
    gbethu,

Yes?!

Thank you for this thread! It is another opportunity to "shake the tree" on (very) early Colt barrels. (Not the horizontal H with serifs barrel---the barrels that came before them.)

As far as I know, the barrel in 39 is original. I have had three advanced collectors say it is the only very early Colt barrel they have examined. The barrel in the early replacement pistol ( http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...-and-Magazines ) is exclusive to the receiver and slide it is in, and I believe (and so did Chuck) that it is another example.

There are a few very early pistols out there---anyone think they have one with a very early barrel? (PM me if you like and it will remain confidential.)

It may be difficult to identify the specific characteristics of the very early barrels---because there are so few to examine. Were they all made by the same person? Are they all the same? Are they interchangeable?

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan4; 08-21-2015 at 12:41.