Thread: Picked Up 1898 Rifle, SRS Check?

1. Default Picked Up 1898 Rifle, SRS Check?

Hey guys....I am mainly a 98k collector, but have a fair sized US collection, and always wanted to at least get a representative Krag for it...

I've had a very nice, arsenal done (so I am told) shortened Krag in the collection for a good while, but always itched to get an "as issued" rifle. A chance came up to do some horse trading with a buddy to get an as issued 1898, so I jumped on it.

Its a nice gun, I will post some pics once I get her cleaned up a bit...nice stock, but seems to be well used, and varnished, can't see the acceptance stamp on the side, and the Proof P on the wrist is there but pretty faint...may have been sanded or boned a long time ago...once the varnish/finish is off, the side stamp may come out a little, we'll see.

The only negative I can see now is it has a 1902 (IIRC) sight on it, only a single v on the leaf, and the little flip up aperture...I assume these were replaced from time to time, or should I look for a proper replacement?

From the S/N it is an earlier 1898...S/N is 157677, so I believe that puts it in actual 1898 production...

Can anyone see if there are any hits on SRS on it, or any close rifles?

Like I said, when I get a chance to work on her a little, I get some pics and post them.

Sure glad I finally got a mainly undinked one to add to my US Martial collection...

Now I may have to add a carbine....Hmmmm...

Nothing on that number closest is 157652

'pzjgr': It would appear your model 1898 Krag rifle was assembled around December, 1898. When first accepted, it is likely it had a model 1896 rear-sight. Later, conceivably, it could have been 'updated' to the (short-lived and later discontinued) '3 notch' model 1898 sight. Eventually, it got its present model 1902 sight. (At some point of time, it could also have worn the model 1901 sight).

IMHO - The model 1902 rear-sight is a very nice sight and is a correct 'update' on your Krag. It is likely your Krag went back to Springfield Armory for some type of reconditioning or rebuilding (no stock 'cartouche', but, a circled "P" indicating functioning was tested).

It is likely that before the 1905 changes to the Model 1903 Springfield, the model 1902 sight was the 'preferred' sight on Krags still in use by Regular U.S. Army troops. The early 1903 Springfield had a rear-sight similar to the 1902 Krag sight (some parts are interchangeable).

The 1905 rear-sight for the 1903 Springfield had some similarity to the model 1901 Krag rear-sight. This likely caused a preference for the model 1901 sight in the Regular Army and relegated the Krags with 1902 sights to the National Guard.

I would recommend leaving your Krag equipped as it is.

4. Default

Good valid points butlersrangers....my shortened 1898 had a 1901 sight on it, which I liked (but I like 03's too...)...I've got another buddy who loves Krags and has lots of parts, so I could get parts...

I won't change anything most likely. I am in the process of cleaning her up, got it all disassembled last night, and cleaned up the years of crud on the small parts...hopefully I will have some pics of it up soon...

If an un-"cartouched" stock is correct for a rebuild, perhaps that is what this is...she isn't a rack queen, definitely used, but not abused...bore is decent...not stellar, but ok. Doesn't bother me, as I don't shoot most of my rifles much anyway....

Thanks for your input....