Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I helped a gentleman dispose of some M1903s a few years back and he gave me a "special" price on that NRA G&H-modified sporter. Normally, a sporterized M1903 of any kind wouldn't have been of interest. But, as I said, I hung around Michael Petrov too long and his collection of magnificent pre-WWII sporters started to rub off! It is now one of my favorites.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

For info and reference, I have 1295703 & 1343259 NRA Sporters; 1264566 G&H; 1288876 possible G&H; and a re-numbered Sedgley 1903.

Eric
    Last edited by EriCal; 06-10-2015 at 11:03.

Would you have pictures, especially of the G&H modification?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

The G & H and possible G & H

The Sporters and and M2:

The Sedgley:

If you wish an other specific photos of these, let me know.

Eric

5. Default

There was some q about butt plates. Here are some:

Absolutely beautiful ...thanks for posting!
    --C.S. Lewis

Wow! Super rifles! Thanks!!

A forum member PMd me with some concerns over the stock. When I bought it I had suspicions about the lack of a proof P but figured the price was right regardless. I knew the metal was genuine. He pointed out that there is a routed/inletted area behind the lug bed that is indicative of an M2 stock for .22 magazine relief. M2 stocks had no cross bolts. After looking at it carefully, you can see that it is indeed a M2 stock that someone very accurately added bolts to. They got the bolt placement perfect, based on pictorial reviews. However, look at the peening in the center of the cross bolts where someone drove them home, and some scratches and marring on the nut side where they used a screw driver to turn it. Swing and a foul tip if not a miss. Anybody got a sporter stock for sale?:>)

Blog Entries

The stock on your sporter is a 1922 stock, also known as NRA stock. The M2 stock has a butt to which a 1903 issue type stock will fit and it has grasping grooves in the fore end. You have a fine rifle, regardless of the replacement stock.

10. Default

On the subject of the magazine relief cut, I seem to remember reading somewhere that both 22 and 30 cal stocks will have this cut. The 30 cal rifles have the cross bolts added.