Default No1 Mk3 BSA receiver markings

I was cleaning my BSA mk3 today, and I noticed these markings on the left side of the receiver, near the barrel. Anyone know what they mean? I would assume some arsenal markings, or proof marks, as this rifle still has a very nice finish on it for being a rifle 99 years old.
    image.jpg
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

Markings are partially obliterated due to the refinish. However they are fairly typical of a proof mark, view markings, a MkVII ball marking, and what appears to be an Australian property marking hidden beneath the scope mount. First impression was a DP mark but it looks as though there is a broad arrow within the D?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

It's actually a rectangle/square with an arrow through it. Mean anything to you?

A small rectangle or a rectangle with a letter would mean something in a different application. However yours looks to be a large upper case D with serifs containing a broad arrow. The front part of the D hidden below the scope mount.

If it's truly a square or a rectangle with serifs and an arrow....meaningless to this old boy.

Yep. Proof and acceptance stamps. The L over the P in the crossed flags is Lithgow, Australia.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf
    http://www.marstar.ca/html/reflibrar...urerMarks.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

So that's the question, why did Australia have it? I've heard that they were short on sniper rifles at the onset of the Second World War, so they scoped a bunch of no1 mk3's, as well as pressed a bunch of civilian rifles into service. But I really doubt this is one of those rifles.

7. Default

It's a arrow inside a D & is a early Australian ownership stamp, the other 2 below that are proof stamps (English & Australian) & the lower stamp is an BSA inspection stamp.

Australia got ahold of a lot of British-made SMLE's as repayment for arms sent to fullfil the UK's wartime demands
    Sorry to tell you yours is not a sniper rifle. It's simply a surplus rifle someone recently mounted a commercial base and scope to.

Yeah, that idiot that mounted the scope base was me. Trying to see how accurate and how far out this rifle goes. I bought the no4 explicitly for scoping, and I still like my BSA better. And as for the aussie markings, that's just plain awesome. This rifle must have gone everywhere. Alas, not a sniper, but still world travelled.