1. Default M14 mount with M84 scope?

Found a scope in an auction, made an offer, and a few minutes later I am now the proud owner .. but what exactly did I buy? And is it original?

It looks like a M1C mount, but on something which appears to be for the M14. However, the M1C type mount appears not to be marked Griffin & Howe, but the base mount (missing it's locking screw) itself has a serial number scratched to it..

Is this an original Vietnam Era M14 sniper mount? And any ideas where I can get the missing locking screw from?

Sorry for the bad picture quality, they are straight from the auction.

Thanks,

Georg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Promo; 04-21-2015 at 02:21.

Georg
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=164320?
    If you look at the above thread from the CMP forum the pics in that thread show the mount screws have a checkering where the screws on your mount are plain. Also the mount screws have a heavy casting line. The stop screws have been replaced with roll pins on your mount. Are there any signs that the scope mount is USGI? Not sure on the base. Also it appears that your scope is missing a turret cover. On ebay there is what they say is a USGI cover but it is pricey. 80.00

The mount is an original mount made up from left over parts by a Fellow named Pete Michaels in St. Charles Illinois I believe in the 1960'S --These were repro's of the originals, not that the levers on the mounts were wax cast because originals were no longer available !!

Interesting that no one ask what you paid. I have an original base with numbered G&H mount. I was offered a $1000 several years ago. The prices they're asking for reproduction M84's and M73B1's ought to give you a good idea of todays value of a "rare" mount. Does Johnny Bell still haunt these forums? He would be your undisputed go to for fair evaluation.

5. Default

Hi Cecil,

I bought the whole rig for I believe $900, would need to look it up. I valued the scope at around $500, and thought the rest isn't too much for such a mount. I don't want to sell it since I recently got my first M14 rifle, a Winchester manufacture. Will put the scope mount on this rifle and use it for shooting. Your mount you mention you have, if you decide to part with it let me know. As someone here said this part of my scope is reproduction it would be great to recomplete it with the original upper mount, since I already have the rest of it.