Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've been talking to Roland Beavers through email. He was a RTE armorer in the 50's and probably built these rifles as I think there was only like 12 of those guys in the whole Corps. He's talking about joining the forum here. If he does he would probably have some valueable insight to this as I'm sure he was involved in the program.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 03-25-2015 at 06:31.

2. Default

I definitely think something is being lost with the new technology. Yes, I heard about the wood catching fire, and other short comings, but there is some romance to a Steel and wood rifle/handgun.
    Last edited by StockDoc; 03-25-2015 at 05:28.
    liberum aeternum

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    I've been talking to Roland Beavers through email. He was a RTE armorer in the 50's and probably built these rifles as I think there was only like 12 of those guys in the whole Corps. He's talking about joining the forum here. If he does he would probably have some valueable insight to this as I'm sure he was involved in the program.

With Gus Fisher being MIA, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

4. Default

Another name has been added to those who have fired a perfect score in the National Trophy Individual Match originally posted under "Did Marine Use NM M1;s'. Original list was published on 03/20/2015 by me'

Hi Phil,
    What year was the match in which Michael Pietroforte USMC fired the only perfect score at the Nationals and what was the match/score?
    (OK Phil, you forced me to look it up!)

In 1958 T/Sgt Michael Pietroforte, USMC won the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match with a score of a 250-23V using the M1 Rifle.

In 1966 T/Sgt Michael Pietroforte, USMU won the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match with a score of 250-26V using the M14 Rifle. (By this time the Commandant of the USMC decreed that the USMC would use the M14 in competition).

In 1963 M/Sgt. M.W. Fields, USA won the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match with a score of 250-30V. This also made him the winner of High Regular Service, High Infantryman, and High Army. In 1963 only the M1 rifle was eligible as the service rifle.

In 1964 Sgt. B.E. Smith USAF won National Trophy Individual Rifle Match with a 250-26V firing an M1. With that score he was Match Winner, High Regular Service, and High Air Force. There were two scores of 249-26V fired with the M14 and one with the M1 in the same match. (Match possible 250-50V)
    I believe that 1964 was the first year in which the M14 was fired extensively in the National Matches (except for a limited trial in 1963).
    Rifles fired were:
    ARMY-M14
    NAVY-M1 (except for the National Trophy Infantry Match-M14)
    USAF -M1
    USCG-M14
    USMC-M14 (except that individuals who had a strong preference could fire the M1. )
    Odds favored the M14 as there were about 1600 M14's to 600 M1's.

1965 Sgt. G. Murdock USMC won the National Trophy Individual Rifle Match with a 250-33V. With that score he was also High Marine. G/Sgt M. Pietroforte was his team mate on the USMC (Added Name)
    Crimson Rifle Team along with LCpl. C.N. Hathcock
    After 1967 the matches had switched to the SR,& MR target and the Army stopped supporting the National Matches..
    FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-14-2015 at 02:31.

Great info to have. Thank you!

6. Default

Thanks for the update.