Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove, or not

1. Default

Keep the whole rifle. Forget about selling it.

2. Default

You either see it as a financial "opportunity" for yourself, or a snapshot of history at a moment in time....
    It's a rare enough variation to deserve preservation the way it is, from my point of view - get the DCM documentation and keep it!

When faced with preservation of historical artifacts vs the maximizing personal profit motive, I always remember the line in the original Indiana Jones movie -

" Indy, we are only passing through History - This IS History! Do as you will."

You are either a curator or a profiteer - and each person has their own standard that seems right to them. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 03-29-2015 at 09:54.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

The rifle as it is(or was at this point) has some historical significance,albeit,little. A four digit receiver just happened to get turned into a 1945 rebuild. It's a mixmaster. There's plenty of them around. I put BF Goodrich tires on my truck after the originals wore out. That's history,but who cares? I have had in my possesion early and late rifles that were pretty much intact. I don't take them apart. Some guys will sell pert near anything, I don't count myself among them. I get sentimental about old logs.
    Last edited by dryheat; 03-29-2015 at 10:50.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Can you post the complete serial number on your four digit ? there is some SRS data available on these early receivers

Matt,
    If you decide to break it apart, I'd like to have first right of refusal on the barrel.
    Thanks
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    I hate to say this, as I hate to see them broken up, but they are worth more in parts than they are together. It's a shame, but true.
    cplnorton is correct. Unless you have an original rifle, most M1's are usually worth more in parts than whole.

7. Default

What makes you think it is a 1945 rebuild other than the mix of parts? How is the stock marked? Has it been reparked? Is the chamber in the white? The SHM proofed postwar rebuilds are a class of rifle unto themselves, both the M-1 Garand and the M-1 carbine. We need more info to help you make an informed decision.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

8. Default

How do you "rebuild/restore" a four digit reciever? Where the heck do you get Gas Trap Parts? A correctly dated barrel?? I wouldn't give $200 for a four digit reciever, it costs too much to restore..... CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 03-30-2015 at 04:00. Reason: spelling
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Can you post the complete serial number on your four digit ? there is some SRS data available on these early receivers
    Yes, post it. That way I can tell you if it was stolen from me or not...
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

I have a customer that is looking for a 4 or 5 digit receiver/rifle. Please contact me (Dean) dean@dgrguns.com and we will if we can make both of you happy! Dean-DGR
    dgrguns.com