Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry firing a rimfire

All 22 rifles are safe to dry fire, when working as designed and does not have worn parts. I collect Mossbergs (not noted for being expensive rifles) some from back in the 30's. Have been shooting many different brands since the 1950's and have NEVER had a chamber face hit by fire pin! They are NOT designed "to impact the rim"! If they were the manufactures would be repairing thousands of guns every year! Serious target shooters dry fire for practice hundreds of time a month, if not more!
    I wonder about that "all 22 rifles" comment. I do not know that it is wrong; I do know that my Anschutz requires "dry fire device" for that practice.
    I inadvertently peened the chamber face on my Ruger MK.II when, after cleaning, the firing pin stop fell out and I did not notice until after the gun was reassembled and dry fired. Fortunately, there is a very effective tool for repairing the dent.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; 03-12-2015 at 08:52.

German Sport Guns advises not to dry fire the .22 replica Stg-44. It's such a nice heavy piece it makes a good steady hold trainer but the tech on the phone said dry firing is a no no.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-12-2015 at 08:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    I wonder about that "all 22 rifles" comment. I do not know that it is wrong; I do know that my Anschutz requires "dry fire device" for that practice.
    I inadvertently peened the chamber face on my Ruger MK.II when, after cleaning, the firing pin stop fell out and I did not notice until after the gun was reassembled and dry fired. Fortunately, there is a very effective tool for repairing the dent.
    Pete
    As I said 'as designed and not worn', should I have included 'reassembled correctly'?