Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ignats View Post
    Well, try that with a Class 3 FFL-C&R which many collectors such as myself have.

FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses. All attempts to check the validity of Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee.

Whether or not ATF would be interested in the seller not shipping you the gun is debatable. They may refer you to USPS for mail fraud or the local PD. Like I said earlier, if someone wanted a copy of my C&R FFL, prior to buying a gun that I was selling, I would most likely not do that. Some sellers in the past have sent me a copy of their FFL's some don't. There's no law requiring the shipper/seller to even have an FFL, but before he can ship to a buyer in another state, he must have a license (depending on the type of gun involved) from the person who is going to receive it. I suspect you've missed out on some deals if you insist on having a seller send you his FFL. In my experience, most of the nice collectible pieces come from individuals rather than gun dealers and some of them don't have any type of FFL. Good luck and good collecting.
    Being prudent and doing due diligence with who you are dealing with comes with 35 years of law enforcement at both the municipal & federal level. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never had anyone refuse to exchange licenses once I have sent them one. I won't say being scammed won't happen, but the likelihood is certainly minimized for me. I'll leave interpretation of Title 18 USC, Chap. 44 up to you as to how you interpret and follow the law. My wife accuses me of being paranoid anyway! Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    No I haven't, and don't intend to. Without payment I would not ship an expensive pistol to someone I do not know. An FFL isn't a guarantee of character.
    Man is that ever the truth. I have had more bad experience with shifty dealers falsely describing guns than with private sells or FFL 03 collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ignats View Post
    Well, try that with a Class 3 FFL-C&R which many collectors such as myself have.

FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses. All attempts to check the validity of Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee.
    Just a FYI - If a seller or a dealer is really hung up to verify that a FFL 03 is valid, they can contact BATFE's WV Licensing office toll free at (866) 662-2750. I have called them in the past, and they have always been fast and professional.When I asked why the C&R information wasn't published on-line, I was told because it is a home residence, and for safety reasons, didn't want to have a public viewed database of private residences for potential home robberies.

Thanks,
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg1911 View Post
    Just a FYI - If a seller or a dealer is really hung up to verify that a FFL 03 is valid, they can contact BATFE's WV Licensing office toll free at (866) 662-2750. I have called them in the past, and they have always been fast and professional.When I asked why the C&R information wasn't published on-line, I was told because it is a home residence, and for safety reasons, didn't want to have a public viewed database of private residences for potential home robberies.

Thanks,
    Pat
    I always wondered why 03s cannot be verified, Thanks, now I know!

Rick, I have been scammed also, but this is what I did. And it works.
    !) contact the Attorney General of PA fraud division. File a formal complaint. They will investigate right away. Especially with a firearm.
    2) If you mailed it fiale a report with the USPS inspectors office.
    3) File a report with your local police and the PA police in the city of the seller.
    4) As it was done on the internet, call the FTC an file a fraud complaint. They only act if there is more than one complaint. But it is a start.
    By filing the police reports you make your position stronger. Filing a false police report is a crime in its self. I also told the AG office that I did this and reminded them that it is a crime for filing a false report.

You may not get you funds back, but it will scare the he?? out of the seller.
    Good luck Mark
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain