Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Wink

Tempting!!!
    I really want to take it hunting next fall. Hoping to get a deer or elk with it next year.

2. Default

Dang it fred...... ill up it with a krag that is full length unmolested metal with just the stock having been sported lol....
    Last edited by RickM; 12-27-2014 at 03:54.

3. Default

Maybe we should just share it. Lol! I'm thinking some day I might give it on loan to the Cody Museum so everyone can see it. I might establish a condition that my grandchildren and great grandchildren would be allowed to check it out for a month at a time to take it hunting. Still pondering.

While I sympathize in your desire to take it out and put it to the use it was intended, I admit I'd hesitate to take such a rifle with a "history" out into the "boonies".
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    While I sympathize in your desire to take it out and put it to the use it was intended, I admit I'd hesitate to take such a rifle with a "history" out into the "boonies".
    I hear you. I'm not sure yet what to do with this rifle. I've always been pretty careful with my firearms and have hunted with some fairly valuable old mauser sporters, Winchesters, etc. I have lived on a private ranch my whole life with elk deer, turkies, etc., and so I have a comfort level on my own turf. Still debating. I would make a cool story if I could tell my grandkids I hunted with Gary Cooper's rifle. Of course they probably will have no idea who Cooper was by the time I have Grandkids.
    Last edited by Bhauer; 12-27-2014 at 02:46.

6. Default

Accidentally deleted the photo I had in photobucket, below of Gary Cooper with the Griffin & Howe and the bobcat he took. This is the pic that is published in the book Hemingway High On The Wild by Lloyd Arnold and the photo was taken by the Author in January 1948 while Cooper was visiting Ernest Hemingway in Sun Valley, Idaho.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bhauer; 02-04-2015 at 11:18.

7. Default

Paul Chapman at Griffin & Howe emailed me today along with an attached copy of their Journal entry for my rifle. It is simple and hand written but gives the year, 1936, the rifle's four diget serial number, the Caliber, and the name G Cooper.
    Glad to finally have that piece of the puzzle!
    Last edited by Bhauer; 02-14-2015 at 08:39.

Cool!

Shooter5 Guest

This post sure is neat! Lots of cool history. Thanks.