Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dick,
    I have already botched/hijacked this thread which was not my intent. I apologize to the OP. Dick please email me and I can send you some photos of Ft Brady (which he was assigned during his distinguished career) as well as provide some additional information regarding Fort Mackinac.

CPC: As OP, I don't mind at all and would enjoy seeing more about Major Manning and Ft. Brady on this thread. My questions about the Metcalfe stock were answered. Besides, I'm a 'Troll'. I live below the Bridge!

Default Ft. Mackinac rifle range

Here is the area over which Major W. C. Manning probably fired his '1884 RRB Trial Springfield'. The site is known as 'Rifle Range Trail'. The photo is taken facing South from Ft. Holmes (probable backstop) toward Ft. Mackinac (probable Firing Line).
    Reported traditions are that the garrison would have rifle practice once a week at 600 or 1,000 yards. Soldiers are reputed to have dug lead out of the backstop. (Makes sense on an island).
    From the 1870s to 1895, Mackinac Island was our 2nd National Park. The troops on the island were used to develop improvements and safeguard the site (as in Yellowstone NP). Mackinac Island became a State Park in 1895.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks. Nice picture. I am sure he probably fired the rifle there. Up until a few years ago, if you knew the right kids you could buy bullets found in the area. I have a book that has some shooters at the range but I'll have to find it. As far as being a troll, I can see the bridge and "below it" where you trolls hang out from my house.

Dick, I am sure the Park has lots of information on Manning as he is mentioned in almost every book I have about the fort. I sent you a couple links from local information you may find humorous.