Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The original post is old and it is just his opinion. The opinions that I respect are those of the GIs and Marines that used the rifle in combat and they universally respected, even revered the M1 Garand. The rifle still is an object of affection for veterans, much more so than the even longer serving M16 and its offspring.

Just my opinion and as a veteran I think it's worth more than his.

Jerry Liles

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    The opinions that I respect are those of the GIs and Marines that used the rifle in combat and they universally respected, even revered the M1 Garand. The rifle still is an object of affection for veterans, much more so than the even longer serving M16 and its offspring.
    I would agree.

From what I have read in contemporary accounts of its performance, the M1 had an unusually high favorability rating.

I see little mention of supposed shortcomings that are emphasized in gun magazines and web forums. I haven't seen any documented Korean War complaints from M1 armed soldiers, about inadequate weapons, even when soldiers were up against onrushing hordes of Red Chinese, many of which were armed with submachine guns.

On the other hand there was plenty of criticism of various pieces of equipment such as tanks, aircraft, torpedos etc. during the same time frame in which the M1 served.

[.

The 8 round enbloc is a handy size and once you get the feel of the M-1 it is quite user friendly and you have 8 with fewer movements and FORCE than are required to place a 5 round stripper clip, PUSH the rounds down (frequently they are hard to get going) pull the used stripper out, and get the bolt to go forward.

Not necessary to pull 'used stripper out', just close the bolt, its designed to pop out!

Most opinions offered by internet ninjas are total crap, this guy is no exception. I have met, read or watched a tactical turd with an AR do everything humanly possible to his or her gun over the last few years. In the end, we still won WWII and Korea without it. As my dear departed Dad once said, "that Rambo is one tough bastard, if he would have been in our outfit, he would have been a cook." Dad was in the 101st AB and jumped D-Day and Holland, collected two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars. All with a Garand.

Some of the toughest guys you will ever meet have fought on Call of Duty or Halo.

I wonder what the idiots would think of next?? maybe these rifles are too deadly to own!! Maybe they should have séances to talk with the deceased spirits of our enemies from past conflicts! I know I would never want to be in an area that was being assaulted by a company of troopers with M-1 rifles!! must have been like a rainstorm of accurately aimed bullets! One of my relatives said that you could look at a bullet wound on a dead soldier and tell if it was a 30-06 wound; nice round hole where it went in and a hole three times it's size where it went out ! Carbine wounds were usually a hole where it went in and no exit!!