Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No5

1. Default

I can't seem to find import marks on this one, so I figure it was in that early import batch. I looked under the buttplate as suggested and there is no rusting under there. But, under the upper forearm wood, there is some slight pitting where the band is. Its not bad, but it is there where some rusting had started. I cleaned and oiled that up so it won't continue to rust there.

2. Default

Here is better pictures of mine. It has some funky green paint which is also worn off, so no telling how long ago that was painted. But, I am assuming that was something someone did somewhere down the road. I believe all these were originally painted black? Anyone have any ideas of the best way to remove the green paint without messing with the original paint and patina?

Last edited by Tudorp; 09-28-2014 at 03:19.

The black "paint" isn't really paint but a coating of Suncorite, a tough rust resistant finish. The green material was an add-on probably done in Asia as another attempt to save the firearm from the ravages of the local climate.

4. Default

Might that have been done during military service? Or post military? If it is part of its military past history, I would rather keep in as is as part of the rifles service. If it is simply some bubba attemt, id want to undo that.

It was likely an addition done while in service in the Federation of Malaysia. Corrosion was obviously an issue in those places in the tropics or sub-tropics. Definitely an in-service addition. Bubba paints all his Enfields Rustoleum flat barbecue black.

Mine has remnants of green paint on it as well, and, as a milsurp, I think it should stay as is.
    malcolm

Always forgive your enemies, but only after they are hanged.
    (Heinrich Heine)

Don't forget ear protection.

8. Default

Yeah, I found that out shooting my brother in law's .303 this past summer. Was every bit is loud as my Soviet M44. We were shooting his Enfield along side my Arsenal sp101, and it was a bit harsher sounding than the arsenal. But seemed about the same as my M44.

Louder beneath a corrugated tin roof! For nerve-wracking LOUD, try a 10" barreled TC Contender under that same roof in 223 Remington. Behind it wearing ear plugs under the muffs it wasn't too bad. They made me stop due to the flinching it caused down the rest of the line.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I have four of these currently and have owned literally several dozen over the last fifty years from well-worn to brand new in original wrapping. That doesn't make me an expert, just a longtime observer. Take care removing the but plate. Put plenty of penetrating oil on the end of the screw and let it soak for several days. The threads are very fine and easily stripped. These WILL NOT restore and original but plates are non-existent, so once those threads are gone, you are phuqued. Proceed with caution.
    Last edited by mack; 10-13-2014 at 07:08.