Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Sea Story from a black WW-2 Sailor

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Were belligerents allowed to 'liberty' in neutral ports?
    My cousin's husband was a boatswain's mate, serving in the Armed Guard units aboard merchant marine vessels. He told me one time that they were in a neutral port in the Mideast, and I don't remember if it was Egypt or Iran or just where it was--too many years have passed. Anyway, they found a little sailor's tavern and were inside, having a few beers. Somebody noticed that down at the end of the bar were some German U-boat sailors, also enjoying themselves. No great hand-shaking, no trading souvenirs, no back-slapping. They all just glared at one another. All the US guys realized that some day those guys might be looking through a periscope at them. He did have one ship go down, and got to spend some time in a liferaft.

He said that on payday for the merchants, they would pass the hat and all of them would throw in money to give to the Navy guys. After all, most of the Navy guys were out there for $50 a month or so, and the merchants were making money hands over fists. And they were mighty thankful for the Armed Guards to be out there with them, trying to protect them.

He really loved the Navy, and always said that he wished that he had made a career out of it.

I worked with a WW11 Merchant seaman. He said they signed on a ship and were not paid till they hit the US again, at which time they were rolling in money. There were no pay days while at sea. He never mentioned overseas "liberty". He was on the Russia run at least twice. If they did not sign back on a ship within a month or so of coming home they would be drafted. He and several buddies finished a cruise in New Orleans once, got paid and moved into a whore house, rented the joint for month or so, food, booze and women included. Then went out to sea again, broke! Also had a cousin who was one, from in NYC and I never really knew him.