Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you feel so unhappy about dry-firing get some of these in your favorite calibers: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...%3Asnap%20caps or some original training rnds from various online suppliers.

RHB

Quote Originally Posted by joet View Post
    Dry fired in PI boot camp hundreds of times.We called it snapping in.Great way to practice trigger control,and sight alignment.I snap in all i can, it makes range time go much better.
    I agree that we "snapped in" a lot, but our training rifles were exchanged for "shooters" when we went to the range. (in 1965.. M14's)

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
    I agree that we "snapped in" a lot, but our training rifles were exchanged for "shooters" when we went to the range. (in 1965.. M14's)
    In 1956 we qualified with the same rifle.

"Semper fi"

4. Default

I've had M1 Firing Pins break but can't specifically lay any blame on dry firing. $hit happens.

A gimmick better than a snap cap is a Dry Fire Device. Not only does the Hammer never touch the Firing Pin but it only takes about a quarter-inch tug on the Op Rod handle to reset for the next snap. Very quick and easy.

You can get one from most of the usual suspects (eg, http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...re_Device.html ) or make your own from dowel or plastic rod.

Maury

Have dry fired M1 Garands,m1 Carbines, M-14's, M-16's and about every other military rifle I have ever handled. Never had a problem. That said I did have to replace a firing pin on a friend's M1 that he had break while firing........He said it just quit firing during a string of fire he was doing. When I took the rifle apart the firing pin was busted........
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

6. Default

The only guns that I know of that are a no no to dry fire are rimfire weapons. I dry fire my Garand regularly with no issue to date.

Add to that hammer side X sides and Trapdoor types . Those angled in firing pins don't like it . Also any firing pin with a sharp 90 degree bend or cut amidships is prone to cracking there .
    Chris

Ever do inspection arms with an M1? I did that quite often for three years. Guess what the final step is! And no, I NEVER came close to chambering my thumb!

Quote Originally Posted by ltcboy View Post
    +1. The Coach Method. I guess that's how we all got intro'd to firing the M1 or M14 rifle. Even long after military service, I don't know how s shooter is going to get in enough practice without a lot of dry firing.