Default Seeking Winchester Model 1200 heat shield/bayo lug

Heard there was a batch of Vietnam era originals that hit the market a few years back. Of course I missed the boat. Anyone have a spare or know where one is hiding out? I would even be interested in a repro of it fit the Riot barrel (.860). Thanks.

2. Default

Just be patient and keep your eyes peeled, they turn up here and on eBay on occasion...and they aren't too salty in their pricing. Making a clone, or missing one from a real gun?

About 7 years ago or so there was a spate of 1200 trenchguns that hit the market, most seemed to be coming from a PD supply in MS. They were offered with and without the heatshields, and those were also floating around at that time. It was a great opportunity to get what will someday prove to be a very hard to find martial shotgun.

Most of them looked like these, with a mix of wood and dry as a bone:

There are two serial ranges on these U.S. marked shotguns, the early range has a black anodized receiver, the later is parked. The U.S. markings are under the serial on the receiver and on the barrel. Other parts are the same.

This is a later one with matching wood:

"There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

I just bought a cheap Riot and thought I would have some fun.

What are the serial number ranges for the US marked guns? I keep seeing reference to the later receivers being parkerized but that is impossible as they are aluminum and Parkerizing does not work on aluminum. It must be a spray on finish that matches the zinc parkerizing?

I've got a parkerized Colt Agent, serial range 13,XXX, that both the barrel & cylinder (steel) match the frame (aluminum) exactly in color............it is one of my preferred daily CCW snub noses...... the finish on it is extremely durable. By the way, I have a good, long time gunsmith who opined that the model 1200 & 1300 Winchesters were both stronger than the original Win model 12's........that shotgun ought to hold up very well as a user if need be...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

5. Default

Metal is "parkerized", aka: phosphating.

Aluminum is "anodized", i.e., the M16/M4 upper and lower receivers. It's an industrial chemical process impregnated into the aluminum - it's not a spray-on and baked substance.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrpdw View Post
    Metal is "parkerized", aka: phosphating.

Aluminum is "anodized", i.e., the M16/M4 upper and lower receivers. It's an industrial chemical process impregnated into the aluminum - it's not a spray-on and baked substance.
    Amazing how close of a color match they got on the anodizing to the zinc parkerizing on those later shotguns.

7. Default

It all depends on what "pigments" are added to the chemical bath, whether anodizing or phosphating, that gives the black, grey, or grey/green colour.

Apparently, from what some military firearm refinishers are telling me, the pigments/chemicals used for the period WWI/WWII/Korea/Vietnam grey/green finish firearms is now a banned substance (environmental hazard!).

This is the reason why most newly manufactured parkerized/anodized firearms come only in dark grey or black (i.e., Remington, Mossberg, Ithaca, Winchester, Benelli, etc.).

A few refinishers have some stock of the remaining banned chemicals - but, when those stocks are gone, they're gone. That's why the high cost on true, period refinishing.
    Last edited by mtrpdw; 09-01-2014 at 04:35.