Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OK, I'm finally convinced it's a Dulite finish. Thanks to Keith & Johnny's photos, and a side by side comparison with a friend's RR #129xxxx, I 'm about as certain as I can be that the bluish tint is apparent when next to the parkerized finish. I'd appreciate further comments if the attached photos help. Mine (Dulite) is left hand/bottom pistol in the pics.
    Serial # 1021615 seems a bit late for a type 2 Dulite, but that's all I can come up with.
    Again, I appreciate the assistance you folks have given.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, meant to include this photo as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The finish may be a chemical (salt) blue, similar to Du-Lite, but possibly a refinish. I can't really tell from the photos. It would require looking at the pistol in-hand to say one way or the other. Sometimes glare in the markings makes them appear to be struck through the finish, when actually they are not. Bare feed ramps are one indicator of original finish, but any good restoration gunsmith can properly remove finish from a feed ramp. There are a lot of things to look at, in-hand, to authenticate finish. But online, with photos, that's nearly impossible.

1018522 is, IIRC, the highest serial numbered type 2 slide original Du-Lite blue finish Remington Rand I've examined. If the slide is original to the receiver, Du-Lite is a possibility, as most (if not all) type 2 slide pistols were originally Du-Lite. If the slide and receiver have been mated up after the fact, welll...??

NO. serial number prefixes indicate the serial number was originally applied after the finish was applied. When I spoke with you yesterday, you indicated the Ordnance Acceptance crossed cannons appeared to show burnished metal...but the serial number didn't.

It takes a relatively keen eye and some experience to say with confidence, one way or the other, in some cases. In the end, everything should add up and there should be consistency in the markings and when they were applied.

The other thing I mentioned to you yesterday was that most late Remington Rand pistols with Du-Lite receivers and slides, after ca. s/n 1000000, have a mixture of blued and Parkerized small parts. I own and show several such examples on my web site. I don't see a mixture of Parkerized parts on your pistol, in the photos provided. Remington Rand was switching over from Du-Lite to Parkerized only at the time this pistol was produced. The later the serial number, typically the more Parkerized small parts you'll see on the pistols. 1015499 has a good many Parked parts, including even Parkerized grip screws. Same is true of many others I own or have examined. That is another key reason I suggest the finish my not, in fact, be original. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Scott Gahimer; 08-12-2014 at 10:33.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Thank you again, Scott. Your observations and comments are concise and have been quite helpful. I realize the difficulty of dealing with online photos, which can't be anywhere near as useful as a hands on inspection. Appreciate you trying your best, however.
    I enjoyed talking with you, and only wished you lived closer.
    Best regards,
    John