Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change in Antique Classification?

Dick---OK, I mis-understood, sorry 'bout that!
    I don't do C&R either. The last Krag I got was a 1896 carbine and I had to go thru the whole check and form deal, the dealer was unfamilar with the law. Had the same problem with LGS when I did have a C&R.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Me too . . . .

That would make ME . . . . officially . . . . an antique! --Jim

Oh come on James you made antique status long ago.

Doc

3. Default

Would be better to strike the date completely and to rewrite the law to read "any weapon manufactured over one hundred years ago".
    We would not need to fight this again in the future and someday even the black, ugly, & vilified AR-15 would become an antique.
    100 years old is customary antique status for most any other type of object; should be fine for guns too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wreck Checker View Post
    Would be better to strike the date completely and to rewrite the law to read "any weapon manufactured over one hundred years ago".
    We would not need to fight this again in the future and someday even the black, ugly, & vilified AR-15 would become an antique.
    100 years old is customary antique status for most any other type of object; should be fine for guns too.
    There is some quick appeal to your idea - but, as with many things when you look at the details, such a ruling would do nothing to fix one of the most annoying things, which is that many guns would still span the break and present the case of "mine is OK, but your identical piece is a terrible death-dealing child-killer." The law needs to be changed, but it isn't that simple.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    There is some quick appeal to your idea - but, as with many things when you look at the details, such a ruling would do nothing to fix one of the most annoying things, which is that many guns would still span the break and present the case of "mine is OK, but your identical piece is a terrible death-dealing child-killer." The law needs to be changed, but it isn't that simple.
    With patience, the break will resolve itself as each individual weapons turns 100 years old. Better to sell a "simple idea of 100 years old = antique" than to try and have a politician, news media, or low information general public confuse themselves with technical definitions that they have already shown a complete lack of understanding of such a assault rifle, automatic, etc.
    100 years old sounds benign and non-threatening.
    You also have the issue of weapons still in production. A gang banger is not likely to use a 1912 vintage Government Model to rob the liquor store due to it's inherent value / rarity; most produced 100 years ago have probably already been worn out / destroyed, but he may get his hands on a recently produced piece employing the same technology.
    Any fixed date such as "1913" or whatever you choose will always cause an arbitrary break.

I pick 2014, any weapon made prior to that is exempt from having to do a 4473, see how easy that was, problem solved.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

There will never be anything other than an arbitrary date.There are too many guns that have been in production in one form or another for over a hundred years.That's what the purpose of the C&R is for.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

A gang banger would never know anything about collector values and will use any gun he gets his hand on. Gang banger=stupid.

Amen to that Dave!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo