Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp Perry 2015 or Bust - The 1895 Winchester Lee

They don't, but what do you want? I can bring you a lunch. I'll be having tuna, but I can whip you up a sandwich or two... I got your back! By the way - everyone gets there around ten, and the match starts at 11:00.
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 07-13-2014 at 06:18.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

To get back to the subject, I wish I could afford one of the Lee Navy rifles. I've had some fun in the past with a tight twist (1/8) Obermeyer 5R barrel on a 6x45 AR. A larger case was what it needed.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Paul,

when you make up that tuna salad sandwich ... and you need to slow down the competition a bit? Set the sandwiches on the shelf under the back window of your car for 6 hours or so. then serve. A tip from the BMX racing world.

jn

Blog Entries

Hey guys! What has happened to Mark Daiute? He hasn't posted anything since probably in Feb. I talked to him at Perry last summer. Does anyone know if he's going to be there?

Blog Entries

Hey there guys. Does anybody know what has become of Mark Daiute. He was one of the Krag shooters at Perry last year when I talked to him. I haven't read a post or comment from him since about last Feb. I hope nothing has happened to him.

Had an email from him a couple of weeks ago - not sure I answered it, better check!!! :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Paul,

when you make up that tuna salad sandwich ... and you need to slow down the competition a bit? Set the sandwiches on the shelf under the back window of your car for 6 hours or so. then serve. A tip from the BMX racing world.

jn

Yeah... I'll make a lot of friends that way too, LOL!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Congratulations on the great pun, Jon - was it accidental or intentional?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    To get back to the subject, I wish I could afford one of the Lee Navy rifles. I've had some fun in the past with a tight twist (1/8) Obermeyer 5R barrel on a 6x45 AR. A larger case was what it needed.
    I would be saying the same thing if was not for all of the moola I have made over here for the last nine years. Geez it seems so long ago that I was just getting to Iraq and now it is just a dim memory.

I am thinking I would try the hornady 100 grain RN bullets that I picked up for the project. They are discontinued but I did manage to get eight boxes. I sure would like to get some 135 grain bullets so I could build the original loading.

What powder do you think I should use? I have a few pounds of Varget and a few more pounds of IMR 4064 waiting for me in the land of the all-night Wally World. There is not too much in the way of load data out there but some guys have posted their loads over the last dozen years on diffierent fourms. I have been collecting the data and I believe if I keep every thing way under 2000 fps the brass should be good to go for a while. From what I can tell the fellow who owned the brass reloaded them three or four times for a bolt gun that came down the family from his grandpa.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Quote Originally Posted by CJCulpeper View Post
    I managed to pick up a few pieces of brass so I could shoot in the Vintage match.
    Mine will function equally well with .220 swift cases simply necked up to 6mm; .220 swift cases necked up with bases turned to 6mm Lee dimensions; or the reformed 25-06 cases that Buffalo Arms sold. For clip loading, the simply necked up 220 Swift cases work the best because the rims are the same as the 30-06 basic case. Thanks to Winchester for this; when they chambered the Model 54/70 for the 220 Wotkyns (which was the 6MM Lee necked down to .22 and shortened), they didn't want to have to make a unique bolt face and extractor, so the .220 became a semi-rimmed case with a 30-06 size rim. I use Swedish Mauser chargers; the tits catch on the receiver rails, and there is enough room in the magazine to push the last round completely out of the charger.

My pressure excursion occurred with a Winchester 100 grain Power Point and a fairly moderate load of 4895. The same load with a Sierra 95 grain MK had no pressure issues. I have one original 6mm Lee cartidge, Rem-UMC. I noted that the bullet is tapered, there is virtually NO parallel mid-body. OTH, the Wincester PP has BEAUCOUP parallel midbody, IOW, lots and lots of bearing surface. So I think I might stay away from the modern 100 grain RN jacketed bullets and stick to the cast bullets for now. But I might try that 95 grain SMK again.
    YMMV ....
    Last edited by Bob S; 07-16-2014 at 10:18.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067