Thread: peep sight

Default peep sight

If you change out a receiver sight how high must the frt sight be?

2. Default

That will depend on your individual rifle. Once you change out the sight take it to the range a put some rounds thru it.. Then you can see where your shot group is and determine what height front sight you will need. There is a formula for doing this based on distance to target and distance between your sights. Brownells website has a "computed" formula for this, all you do is plug in the numbers.

Rick

Many receiver sights have a means of slightly adjusting the position of the range plate - you might not have to change anything.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Many receiver sights have a means of slightly adjusting the position of the range plate - you might not have to change anything.
    This is true, but in nearly every instance where I have installed a Lyman, Redfield or other such sight including the Rice rear sight, the shot group has always been high with the rear sight adjusted as far down a it will allow. This is because the aperture is always higher when mounted on the rifle than the original rear sight "notch" was located. Fortunately, replacement taller front sight blades are readily made or even purchased and can be trimmed back to the required height. I just mounted a Lyman 48K on a rifle and it fired a shot group that was 4 inches high. So now I have to do some work making a taller sight blade to bring my group down to where it should be. No big deal at all.
    I am thinking of putting a custom made wide front blade on this rifle in similar fashion to the U.S.M.C. 1903 Springfield blades that they used.

Rick