Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

The weird part is,if you look at the picture I posted you sure can make a case for the number being stamped OVER the UFH marking. I sure looks that way to me but that doesn't seem to make sense.

5MF-
    I have Springfield dated 1916, serial number 633747. RIA 1918, serial number 422133.

I have a un-dated RIA with what I believe is an alum scabbard. It is stamped RIA 1906 E.E.B. The throat part that can be seen is a dull gray and is metal. Unfortunitly the hanger is broke off. Bayo is excellent and original finish.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I have a un-dated RIA with what I believe is an alum scabbard. It is stamped RIA 1906 E.E.B. The throat part that can be seen is a dull gray and is metal. Unfortunitly the hanger is broke off. Bayo is excellent and original finish.
    In Gary Cunningham's book, "American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century, two different models of 1906 scabbard used aluminum. In what Cunningham describes as the scabbard, Model of 1905, 2nd type, he says ". . . .an aluminum insert covers the wood in the aperture." He goes on to describe a "3rd type - experimental" in which he says ". . . .the wood body was replaced with one of drawn aluminum."

Is yours complete with the leather cover?

Bill
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

5. Default RIA 1906 no serial

I have an RIA 1906 with no serial in a RIA (HEK)1907 scabbord. Any one know anything about these or interested in it? I will try and post pics later. In great shape very little rust, I think maybe release is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    In Gary Cunningham's book, "American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century, two different models of 1906 scabbard used aluminum. In what Cunningham describes as the scabbard, Model of 1905, 2nd type, he says ". . . .an aluminum insert covers the wood in the aperture." He goes on to describe a "3rd type - experimental" in which he says ". . . .the wood body was replaced with one of drawn aluminum."

Is yours complete with the leather cover?

Bill
    I have more information and photos on Bayonet Points 43 - http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_43.htm

7. Default

I have an S A 1914. #585123

Default ID scabbard?

Got an09 SA bayonet in the 367xxx range and an 05 canvas scabbard....I can find no markings on it to ID maker and am reluctant to field strip the canvas off it...Is it marked somehow? I am unable to figger out how to send photos and hope someone here can help.
    Thanks.

Semper Fi devildog

Quote Originally Posted by devildog View Post
    Got an09 SA bayonet in the 367xxx range and an 05 canvas scabbard....I can find no markings on it to ID maker and am reluctant to field strip the canvas off it...Is it marked somehow? I am unable to figger out how to send photos and hope someone here can help.
    Thanks.

Semper Fi devildog
    The canvas scabbard is the Model 1910. Most were made by Rock Island and were marked R.I.A. and the date on the leather tip. If there is much wear to the tip, the markings may be obscured.

For more information, see: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_43.htm
    Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

Default Thanks Bayonet...

Thanks for the help, Bayonet...

No markings or anything stamped on the leather tip and no drain grommet on tip. So I don't think it's a 1940 replacement scabbard. Could ya give me a ballpark figure on what it is worth? The condition is very good on both bayonet and scabbard. Thanks.

Semper Fi ! devildog