Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    Is there anything that would fit a standard no.4 mk1 rifle and stock?
    Another No4 MkI?

Nothing on the budget end that I'm aware of. All else are sniper and target rifles built up to exacting (and pricey) specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wylde View Post
    In the attached photo the hammer marks that I've seen often on the conversions is evident. Nothing that bothered me particularly, but I was curious if this was common practice. Quite evident is that the barrel probably didn't index and the hammer elongated the metal enough for the indexing to take place.

I did find a couple takeoff LB conversion barrels, but know there is a new one somewhere. Also found a CMK4 barrel marked '58. Would that be a 6 groover? I forgot to look for a marking.............
    Bill, I wasn't aware of those hammer marks but thanks for showing them to us. I know a bit more now that you said it's common enough that you've seen it before. As far as indexing, couldn't that be done with a shim prior to setting headspace?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

J.B.,

Everything No 4 was expendable in the day. I've had many tell me they used the timber to start fires. Shims can be difficult to make, but a little hammer work can settle things quickly. I've listened to the stories by the hour and paid to carry off beautiful new LB furniture by the armload. My buddies up there could not believe I was paying for such. Now they want it back!

I too have heard how the various plants used stocks for firewood, barrels for a fence, and Morris tubes for rebar in concrete machinery pads. Back then it was surplus junk being put to good use!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Have several Morris tubes they missed. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    I too have heard how the various plants used stocks for firewood, barrels for a fence, and Morris tubes for rebar in concrete machinery pads. Back then it was surplus junk being put to good use!
    Hearing this makes me sad. No other way to say it.
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wylde View Post
    In the attached photo the hammer marks that I've seen often on the conversions is evident. Nothing that bothered me particularly, but I was curious if this was common practice. Quite evident is that the barrel probably didn't index and the hammer elongated the metal enough for the indexing to take place.

I did find a couple takeoff LB conversion barrels, but know there is a new one somewhere. Also found a CMK4 barrel marked '58. Would that be a 6 groover? I forgot to look for a marking.............
    CMk4 1958 WILL be a 6 groove .Nice oxford grey , fine; grained parkerized finish with the number 6 stamped on the RIGHT hand bayonet lug !

Cheers,

JR

I knew the marking was on the lug, JR, but didn't look before I wrote that. Found it a day or two later and sho-nuf. The next move will be to clean the grease out of it. Not sure yet if it is new.

Cleaned the grease out of that old barrel and it looks excellent. I have just the place for it. A double stamped, never issued, rifle that belonged to Major Colin Brown. A friend of his brought it out of LB and cut the barrel down to a sporter length. The action is stamped with his initials, service area, and service number if I'm not mistaken. I need to ask him. He's 90 now and still an active shooter. Also the Senior Life Governor of the DCRA.

A new barrel, new wood, and a few other parts and that old treasure will have a new life!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    So I know that ishapore manufactured 2a's that shoot .308, but has anyone converted there .303's to 308's? I say this because I want a .308 enfield, but I want as many British parts as possible. Is this possible and has anyone done this?
    If you want one that looks like a No. 4 Mk 2, then the Aussy gun made a few years ago was a good example. But if you're looking for cutting edge accuracy, then an L39A1 is just the thing. Not cheap, but about half of what a comparable L42A1 is going for.

This is what the gun does at 200 yards. Three 5-shot groups with Lake City (top), an M118A1 load, and a Serbian version of M118 (bottom).

One of my very favorite rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by keith.herrington View Post
    But if you're looking for cutting edge accuracy, then an L39A1 is just the thing. Not cheap, but about half of what a comparable L42A1 is going for.

In the UK the L39 are about £600-£1000, whilst the L42 is around £7500+