Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

USS California

M.D could refer to Marine Division.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Steve, I could be wrong, but I thought the off-set hanger was USMC

Also on the USS Wyoming cover notice the MD stamp - I was told that means something ?

Yeah that type of Hanger is Marine Depot Made. Also the straps and stitching on the front is a dead giveaway of Marine Depot made shovel covers.

On the MD, that stands for Marine Detachment. When Marines serve on ships, they were called Marine Detachments. So I'm guessing that is what the MD stands for. It would make sense.

I think my ancestry account just expired. If it didn't' I could look up that Marines name on the back and tell you everywhere he served.

Default another possible USN stock ?

This single bolt Rock Island stock (faint cartouche too) came out a large group that was sold at auction by RocK Island in the 1990's. I was able to purchase the stock from the dealer with a handguard without clips and marked S.

This stock had white paint in the A T 21 markings which I removed - I kind of doubt the army
    would mark a stock like this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heres a few pictures of the Honolulu Stock

I got the stock off ebay, came with handguard, bands and buttplate, unfortunately according to the owner the rifle that was once in it was sporterized sometime in the 60s.

Default Honolulu

Thanks for the photos Steve, my HONOLULU also has the D.A.L. and SA SPG stamps just like yours. I still have the red paint too. Also have some naval cancellations from the Honolulu from 1938 to 1939.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The honolulu on yours is alot clearer, I like the look of it. It would be nice if we could find the ships roster of serial numbers.