Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

My mother made it with hamburger and served on toast. It was great.

My wife made it with chiped beef once in a while but it wasn't as good as my mothers. I didn't tell her that.
    Last edited by joem; 06-21-2014 at 02:32.

2. Default

I was in the Air Force 68-72 and it depended who made it as to if I ate it. One cook in particular made the best SOS I've ever had. It was a creamy white in color and was great over toast. He also put in finely diced onions. I have never tasted anything that could compare.

Nick10Ring

The best ever made is with a old, well used combat boot sock added for that extra kick an flavor.
    AIM TRUE, YOU MIGHT HIT THE TARGET:

The BEST FOOD I had was in a CANADIAN mess hall! Once as a reenactor and even better the second time around in the Senior NCO's mess. You ACTUALY had a choice in the menu. Plus Real dishes instead of aluminum mess plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tompkins View Post
    I've been out now for 30 some years, but I still miss the stuff. I don't care what other people have said about it...that stuff was GOOD! We had 3 cooks in our Mess Hall. Depending on which one made it, it varied in colour. It was either grey, yellowish-grey or green-grey. I ate it every day and had them pour it over everything on my plate at break-fast. I've never had anything in civilian life that has come close in comparison. Anybody else out there a closet SOS lover?

Mike
    I liked a lot of the recipes when I was in the Marines. Just found this little jewel that may bring back old memories: http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jc...full_index.pdf

I will try some of the recipes to see if they are still the same.