Thread: WWII Navy bronze Blade Deep Sea Diver's Knife Imfo?

Default WWII Navy bronze Blade Deep Sea Diver's Knife Imfo?

Last week I was over a friend's house, A Navy Vet, and he showed me, What appears to be a WWII Navy diver's knife. I'm no knife expert, but I'll do my best to describe it- It has a round light color wood handle, and heavy round brass sheath, a brass ring on end of handle, and a leather hanger. Also the blade is made of what looks like bronze with serated upper edge. There is a number c-713051 and FISCHER SPRING, NY, on the blade. I'm not very skilled at posting picture's. But I hope someone knowlegeable could give me more imfo. and maybe a value on this knife. It's in tirrific shape, it looks like it was never used. Thanks for any help. alb03

ALB

The knife in question is known as the Mark V diver's knife. It was used by hard hat divers. The blade is steel, not bronze. The Charles Fischer Spring Company, Inc. was located in Brooklyn, NY and was a supplier of these knives to the US Government, as were a number of other makers. The photo below shows examples of the Mark V knife in my collection made by (L-R) Morse, DESCO and Bomar.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,
    Charlie

Charlie, Thanks for the picture's, and reply. That's the knife my friend has, But I believe his blade is bronze or a non-magnetic metal. When I saw it I didn't check the blade with a magnet, but my friend said he did. I'm going to ask him if I could borrow the knife and get some pictures and check the blade myself with a magnet. I'll get back to this post. Thank's again for the reply. alb03

Finally able to borrow my friend's Mk5 diver's knife that I believe has a bronze blade and is completely non-magnetic. I can't seem to find much imfo. on the bronze blade knife. My friend would like to know a value for the knife. I hope someone could help.
    thanks, alb03

http://tinypic.com/a/368id/1

I'm still trying to find out as much as I can about my friend's Mk 5 anti-magnetic divers knife; one new think I discovered searching on line is ; the blade is not bronze. The blade is made of COPPERBERYILLUM, a hazardous substance. The source did not recomend ever sharpening or grinding the blade.
    Just thought I'd add that fact to some of you knife historian's out there. I still hope someone could enlighten me as to a value or ball-park value for this knife. Thank's alb03

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

I see them for sale accasionally in some of the on line auctions in the $400 range and all the way up to $1000 and more. I know that condition is very important and the different manufacturers will make a difference too.

Thanks Duane, for the imformation; My friend, an older retired Navy man, had no idea he had anything valuable. When I saw the knife I said it looks kind of rare; I've never seen a bronze blade diver's knife before. He wants me to sell it for him so I'm trying my best to find out as much about it as I possible can. I'm thinking about putting it on E-Bay with a high reserve. If someone out there could recomend a different or better way to sell it; I like to hear from you. Thank's again for the imfo. alb03

Hi All, I just wanted to let you know I listed the knife on E-Bay item# 11395817604. I put a starting price of$850.00, and to my supprise there is another one listed also. His starting price is $2000.00, and he's got no bids, and 1 day 5 hours left.
    Thanks again to all for your help, I hope it sells for my old Navy Buddy. alb03

9. Default

Alb03:

Check this link in Re: your friend's Mark V knife. From appearances in your pictures, it appears the blade is Copper-Berryllium, and scarce.

http://divinghelmets.net/ads/rare-vi...dt-dive-knife/

Hope this helps...........best of luck to your friend and his sale.

bb
    Semper Fi