Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by artie78 View Post
    The seller only said Korea. I speculated based on the appearance of the scope block, that the rifle was used in WWII. I was produced in 1923. Wouldn't it be odd to have set out of WWII when they needed every weapon they could get? I guess it could have been in someones rack some where. The block could have been added later I guess. It has a crescent shaped indentation on the upper,center of the block on the bolt side. Looks like a scope moumt was tightened up to it at one time or another. I guess I just need to get it in front of an expert. Wish I could get pictures to upload. Anyone know a good reference person in the Louisville,Ky Area? Thanks
    The vast majority of 1903's "sat out" WWII and Korea, so your rifle sitting out the war would be a normal event. As for the scope blocks, I have several 1903's with those bases mounted, and not one of them is a USMC sniper rifle. As for experts, you have the foremost experts in the USA on this forum, and all of them are willing to help you. Post pictures so they can see what you want them to judge as fake or real. You will get a fair and honest appraisal of your rifle.

I am a data collector, and I record the serial numbers and descriptions of military scoped 1903's, including a large number of the USMC Unertl scoped 1903's, and your serial number is nowhere near them. I do not claim to have them all recorded, but for yours to be one of that elite group, it would be an oddity indeed. I wish you luck in your search, as I always wanted one myself; but alas, I am but a poor man. If I can help, let me know.

jt

Here are some pictures of a Winchester A5 USMC Sniper Scope with it's blocks:

Last edited by JWM; 05-02-2013 at 08:15.

I guess I just need to get it in front of an expert. Wish I could get pictures to upload. Anyone know a good reference person in the Louisville,Ky Area

National Gun Day, Louisville, KY 22 june

Quote Originally Posted by keith smart View Post
    I guess I just need to get it in front of an expert. Wish I could get pictures to upload. Anyone know a good reference person in the Louisville,Ky Area

National Gun Day, Louisville, KY 22 june
    If you email your pics to me I will post them for you. PM me thru the forum and i will send you my direct email address.

Jim

pics are a must..old saying...pics or it didnt happen
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    Here are some pictures of a Winchester A5 USMC Sniper Scope with it's blocks:
    Do you have the matching scope case or know the history of your scope?

jt

Shaking the cobwebs off of this post.
    JT, what are the known serial numbers for Unertl equipped snipers?

Thank you

jt, be careful on giving out the serial number ranges that he asked for. I've been seeing some "undocumented" M1D's, & NM garands coming out of texas & the gulf coast.............. heck they know there's no CMP or DCM record....... they were imported by Blue Sky or Arlington Ord etc etc etc.......... hope that it doesn't happen to 1903's too.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Gimp I don't think I like what you're incinerating.