Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

He really needs to pick up a good RCBS Rockchucker press (at least) setup, and start learning how to produce good reloads.......especially if he has any good friends that can teach him................
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Considering that the acceptable accuracy for a rebuilt U. S. Rifle, caliber .30, M1 was approximately 6.4 MOA, I would say your 4.5 to 5 inch group at 300 m with a service grade CMP M1 is very good.
    The Wizard
    Air Dropable AND Ground Recoverable
    Necat omnes! Deus suos agnoscet.
    The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

3. Default

Thanks everyone for your comments! I bought the M1 from a friend who is seriously pushing me to do my own reloads with accuracy in mind. I am looking at a match grade front sight to see if that helps pull it in tighter while I make a decision on the reloading issue. Thanks again. sjf

Oh, and if the picture confused you, it confused me also. My cell phone does not know up from down and the pic is posted upside down. The two with the pulled shot, were in/near the nine ring (second group) which can be seen very lightly through the paper.

Stefor, what kind of accuracy our you looking to achieve? You do know that standard M1's are only design to achieve minute of man accuracy.
    Last edited by The Wizard; 06-06-2014 at 06:34.
    The Wizard

5. Default

Actually I am looking at just a tiny bit more as I am very happy with my first outing. I think the thinner blade of a natioal match front sight might help a little. My primary problem is that the rear sight is zerod out and I am still shooting 6 in high at 100m. Not an issue at 300. My front sight is std height, so am looking a milling the real sight to see if I can lower it further. Getting a good zero in the bul at 100ml is my real desire.

Reads like somebody has already filed the front sight post to facilitate longer distance shooting with fewer clicks up at the rear. If your rear sight is all the way to the bottom that's what you'll have to live with. Sometimes the forward edge of the aperture ladder can be beveled to give the shooter 2 to 4 more clicks down. Worth taking a look at. Best things you can do for your shooting improvement will be 1) more trigger time and 2) load your own ammo with good bullets.

If your rear sight is "zero'd" out in elevation and you are still 6 inches high at 100 m, there is something definitely wrong with your rifle. According to FM 23-8, Basic Field Manual, U. S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, dated 30 July 1943 the initial sight setting for a 200 yard zero is 10 click of elevation and windage at zero.
    The Wizard