Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default new 03-a3 sporterized questions

hello all,

the title is a bit confusing, but ive got a few questions about a project i am thinking about.

if i go get an 03-a3 reciever.....

1 - what should this run me?
    2 - does anyone make a barrel that will screw on that is not "military profile"?
    3 - if yes to #2, are other calibers an option, or is the receiver strictly 30-06?
    4 - are the s&k scope mounts any good for the 03-a3?

if you havent guessed, i am thinking about putting together a "modern" rifle based on an 03-a3 receiver. i know the easiest old way was to buy a 03-a3 and change out stocks and drill for a scope, but i was wondering my options if i built from the ground up and didnt want to drill and tap for a scope.

thanks for your time,
    douglas

There are a of 03a3 sporters out there, many from the 50s and 60s. Why not get one of those and go from there? Or you could go with the Rem 700 platform (post recall), tons of aftermarket stuff there.

-Jeff
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Really. Jeff is right. So many '03s and 'A3s have been sporterized they are virtually "a drug on the market".

Spend some time looking at "03 sport" on Gunbroker and similar sites and you will be sure to spot several bargains that already have some of the costly modification made, such as recontoured bolt handle, different safety, scope mounts, etc. You will be way ahead monetarily using one of those as your starting point, no matter how much of it you eventually replace.

1. recovered drill receivers can be had for 125 to 250 depending on quality and included parts. Last sporterized rifle I purchased for $250 all in. its a good way to get a receiver plus many other needed parts
    2. Kreiger comes to mind. Many $. custom order.
    3. cartridges based on the 30-06 case should function with minor mods in the receiver. Feeding is the big issue. I personally would not be comfortable with magnum calibers.
    4. no idea

30-06
    338-06
    6.5-06
    280 rem,
    35 whelen
    are all great cals that wouldnt need anything but a barrel..
    magnums will need a bit of grinding to work.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Blog Entries

I bought a sporter 03A3 with a pitted barrel and bishop stock with a Timney trigger for 225. I bought a low mileage (mw 0) sporter segley barrel off ebay for 80, then a custom lop bell & carson carbalite stock for about 175. I sent the barrel and action to Chuck in Denver for a park and barrel install. I forget how much that cost, but all together, way more than an off the shelf deer gun. I'd do it all over again, too. I like my bastardised deer rifle, it shoots great and the parkerized finish has held up great on many a wet day in the woods.

New rifles can be had for less, but I love mine.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

We have more than 1 home built 03/03-A3 sporter around here. They end up costing more than you can buy a commercial rifle for, but the satisfaction and the accuracy are well worth the time. The guys are right. look for some ones old project and start from there.

8. Default

thanks for the ideas and info guys!! i hadnt thought of the saftey or bolt clearance issues. i dont own a scoped rifle, never needed one.

chuck.... when you listed those calibers and said all id need is a barrel, what brand would those be? only 03-a3 barrels ive seen are for putting a receiver back to original configuration (military profile)

thanks again,
    douglas

Look on Brownell's website. I've purchase a couple of inexpensive barrels ($80-$100) and have been happy with them.

I can comment on the S&K scope mount issue. The mount is solid on the old peep site dovetail on the rear, but the front scope base is held by a ring that wraps the barrel in place of stock band (holder, if you will) and is wholly unsatisfactory.

Start with someone's old project, re-barrel to suit your needs and you will wind up with a fairly decent conversion if you are careful. Look for something that has been previously drilled and tapped. Quick, no-drill mounts don't work very well. I used one without very much success for a number of years and finally ditched it.