Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'd think you could probably halve those groups with BP/proper fitting lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I'd think you could probably halve those groups with BP/proper fitting lead.
    Come on Dick. Give me some credit, I`m 75 years young & sitting at a bench resting on my elbows. I`m not using a scope or a mechanical rest of any kind. By the way, I`ve shot different lead bullet out of this rifle & no groups. I`ve even done it with BP & it was still a no go. Smokeless & jacketed bullets all the way with this one.

Not taking anything away from you, OTD - I'm nearly 77 myself, and did not intend to demean your skills - I only meant to point out that the rifle was probably capable of better.

And, while I had assumed you'd used a bench, I never suspected that you were shooting without a rest. My hat is off to you - very few people shoot "from position" any more. Prone (very similar to unsupported on a bench) is very uncomfortable for me nowadays - 10s are no longer (almost) a given!

And, at our age, the relatively crude sights don't help, either. I still plan to shoot my Long-range .45-80 with the tang sight someday.

I will pick my bullets up on Saturday,may be a week or so till I get to shoot them but wil update with my results...