Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default first m1...was it a good buy?

I have wanted an m1 for a while,have done some minor research on them. I picked up a sprng m1 with a nov 1942 receiver. has a 1943 original barrell that gauges a 2-3.. original stock in above aver. shape. trigger group is a w.r.a... has the lock-bar rear sight... I picked it up at a local gun show for 960.. The big seller for me was the lock-bar sight and 1943 barrell.. Was it a decent buy?

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha22243 View Post
    I have wanted an m1 for a while,have done some minor research on them. I picked up a sprng m1 with a nov 1942 receiver. has a 1943 original barrell that gauges a 2-3.. original stock in above aver. shape. trigger group is a w.r.a... has the lock-bar rear sight... I picked it up at a local gun show for 960.. The big seller for me was the lock-bar sight and 1943 barrell.. Was it a decent buy?
    We gotta see pics or it didn't happen! Congratulations.

My first one was a gun show buy for $275.00. Lots of miles on it but I shot it for two years at club matches and finished off the barrel. I bought a new barrel and a bunch of spare parts, enough that finally I bought another reciever and built another Garand.

4. Default

iI think you did very well. Garand's of that vintage with the original barrel and stock are hard to come by.

My first garand is a Winchester I bought online for $800. Very nice rifle being a WW2 serial #1348695. Everything correct except barrel which is SA 52.

6. Default

Here r a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe you did well for the same reasons Bill E wrote of, if you haven't checked it's headspace I will suggest you do so before shooting it. Also, don't shoot commercial ammo through it unless said ammo is loaded for the Garand, Federal's American Eagle brand and Hornady both have loaded ammo specifically for the Garand, or buy surplus ammo.

My first Garand was a '43 SA mixmaster that I inherited after my Grandfather passed away in 1985, I still have it and I put it back to original configuration.

8. Default

Original barrel is a big plus. What type of op. Rod does it have? Nice looking rifle.

9. Default

looks like a -2 bolt also.

Finestkind

How do you know the barrel and stock are original? The WRA trigger group shows it has been through a rebuild, which makes it unlikely that the barrel (since it is dated 11 months after the receiver) is original. During rebuilds, the stocks were not kept with the receiver so there is very little chance it got put back on the same rifle it started with. That said, $960 is not bad for a decent Garand on the open market.