Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

[QUOTE=Dick Hosmer;362173....
    Nice gun, but still overpriced for sure. However (sorry Jon) I would NOT recommend making ANY alterations, just on the chance that it could be a legitimate (albeit not highly sought-after) piece![/QUOTE]

Point taken, Dick. I would've probably looked at that gun as fair game for sporterizing ... Never thought about DCMs and Bannermans having any historic interest - but I guess they do. I've boogered many a fine or not-so-fine milsurp in my time and I probably would have had my way with this one too. But I have changed my ways and only mess with guns that have already been irretrievably messed up already.

jn

It's really hard to tell but the butt plate and rear swivel almost look like 03 parts.

The swivel, at the very least, almost looks to be Parkerized, maybe the plate too, but that's not an '03 plate - the hole is too small.

The rear swivel is parked.

Bluing goes over parkerizing very good, I've read.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

In partial defense of the OP, I have to admit that the Krag was the ONE firearm that I actually did the research before I bought the rifle! However, I can think of at least two Krags I bought on impulse that I got burned on! It does happen to all of us!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Yep.

8. Default

The seller said it is a DCM-NRA Krag. The NRA sold carbines made from cut down rifles, with nicely installed 03 front sights, until they exhausted the supply of Krags sometime in the late 20s or early 30s. I think there is a chance your carbine is one of these. If you can verify this, then I think you bought a very nice and historical firearm, and I would do nothing to alter its current configuration!!!

PS - I have been told that bluing over a parked finish comes out looking like "crap." Parkerization was not invented until about WWI. As far as I know, Krags were all originally blued and a key characteristic of NRA conversions are a professionally installed front sight. From what I know, Bannerman and Stokes conversions pretty much look like hack jobs in comparison. Also, 03 butt plates are not a direct replacement part. Krag butt plates are taller.
    Last edited by S99VG; 05-04-2014 at 10:22.

Reminds me of a red rider, with swivels!